3800 I need some help...

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
Ok, I bought a Performance Shift Knob from Ed Morad a few weeks ago. Now, I drive a 2002 GTP that did NOT have the Performance Shift in it. So, I bought this knob from him and it did not come with the wire to connect it to the computer because he said it is not sold as a "kit". So, after some arguing with him, he sent me: what looks like an adapter for the current wires, and also a small section of wire with the connections to hook it up to the computer. He said all I need to do is buy a length of wire, connect it all up. BUT, I don't know what wires connect where.

So, I was wondering if anyone knows how to piece this all together.

The knob with 2 6" wires coming from it
[attachment=3358:Knob.jpg]

The adapter? Two wires that fit into the wire ends of the knob
[attachment=3359:Adapter.jpg]

The 6" with that I have to extend that fits in the computer
[attachment=3360:Computer_Wire.jpg]

I

imported_snoop

dont know about that one boss. you might have to pop off the button on the side and see which wire it is, or just call ed and make sure. i am sure he would know right off the top of his head. i never used that set up, i just grounded the wire coming off the pcm. but yes it does matter in your case, give him a call and i am sure he will let you know

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoop @ Apr 14 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
one wire is from a ignition source, and the other plugs into the pcm (pin 77).[/b]

Its actually pin 21. I forget which side since there is a clear and a blue side. Its been so long since I installed one.

He is right. There is no kit for it. I got my shift knob the same exact way you did. Some little wires from the shifter. I got the connector from Charles at DHP. It could be had elsewhere. I then used RS wire and ran it from the PCM into the cabin and onto one side of the shifter. The other wire is just a ground. It can go under any bolt inside the cabin as long as it is touch metal.

02DyeFour

There can be only One...
Mar 13, 2008
Oak Forest/DeKalb
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Apr 14 2008, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoop @ Apr 14 2008, 04:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
one wire is from a ignition source, and the other plugs into the pcm (pin 77).[/b]

Its actually pin 21. I forget which side since there is a clear and a blue side. Its been so long since I installed one.

He is right. There is no kit for it. I got my shift knob the same exact way you did. Some little wires from the shifter. I got the connector from Charles at DHP. It could be had elsewhere. I then used RS wire and ran it from the PCM into the cabin and onto one side of the shifter. The other wire is just a ground. It can go under any bolt inside the cabin as long as it is touch metal.
[/b][/quote]

Just so I'm clear, and plz correct me if I'm wrong or guide me. I haven't taken my old one out yet since I am still unsure how the P.S.K. goes in, but....

I connect the adapter (from my 2nd pic) and connect it to the knob.
So, I have two wires that I can connect wires.
One of which is a ground. (My guess is the black wire)
The other is the one that runs threw the firewall, into the computer in Pin 21.

Does this sound right?

Also, like I said, I've never done this, when I take the old shift knob out, am I reusing anything?

Thanks for the help!!

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Sounds about right. I cant tell you about the connection since mine didnt even have that. I ran wires straight to the wires on the shifter. IIRC it does not matter which one is ground and which one goes to the PCM. However I want to say I used black for ground.

I

imported_snoop

i want to appologize first hand for giving out the wrong info. i have alot of notes here, and i obviously looked at my wrong chicken scratch. so i appologize and at the same time....

fish, thank u for correcting me and having him go in the right direction......

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• 02DyeFour
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list