3800 2000 GTP Lost Power

Hello all,

First off I would like to say thanks for a great forum. Now, down to the nitty gritty. I recently took my car in for a SES light. They found some damaged wiring in and around the PCM. They replaced the OCM, fixed the wiring, and installed a used MAF sensor. After picking the car up I noticed that the boost info had dissappeared from the drivers info center, and the car was a dog. I.E. no rubber from 20 mph. Not like a car with 2.5" cat back exhaust and a cold air intake shoud feel. My question is 2 parted. Where is the sendingv unit for the stock boost gauge, and would a used/bad MAFcause a power issue and NOT light up the SES light?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Curt

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (curt5446 @ Mar 31 2008, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hello all,

First off I would like to say thanks for a great forum. Now, down to the nitty gritty. I recently took my car in for a SES light. They found some damaged wiring in and around the PCM. They replaced the OCM, fixed the wiring, and installed a used MAF sensor. After picking the car up I noticed that the boost info had dissappeared from the drivers info center, and the car was a dog. I.E. no rubber from 20 mph. Not like a car with 2.5" cat back exhaust and a cold air intake shoud feel. My question is 2 parted. Where is the sendingv unit for the stock boost gauge, and would a used/bad MAFcause a power issue and NOT light up the SES light?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Curt[/b]

double check all connections to the vacuum line.....thats got to be your problem with the OEM boost "gauge" not reading anything. as far as the MAF sensor, it would have to be tested but its not typical.....

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Mar 31 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
[
double check all connections to the vacuum line.....thats got to be your problem with the OEM boost "gauge" not reading anything. as far as the MAF sensor, it would have to be tested but its not typical.....[/b]

That's the thing, where it displayed the amount of boost is no longer displayed, it's gone. Almost like you would see in a regular GP. I'll go over the motor with some ether and see if that does anything but I would think with a vacuum leak the boost valve would not be functioning and it works fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (curt5446 @ Apr 1 2008, 12:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Mar 31 2008, 07:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[
double check all connections to the vacuum line.....thats got to be your problem with the OEM boost "gauge" not reading anything. as far as the MAF sensor, it would have to be tested but its not typical.....[/b]

That's the thing, where it displayed the amount of boost is no longer displayed, it's gone. Almost like you would see in a regular GP. I'll go over the motor with some ether and see if that does anything but I would think with a vacuum leak the boost valve would not be functioning and it works fine.

Thanks for the quick reply.
[/b][/quote]

alright, well i know that i had the same problem when i took my engine out (simply forgot to plug one of the leads in on the vac line and the car dog'ed and everyonce and awhile it sounded like it had a cam in idle...lol, plus the boost gauge didnt function)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mike K @ Apr 1 2008, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Curt, are you saying that the entire curved line where the boost bars appear is no longer showing up? If so I would take your car back and tell them this.

Are you sure they didn't replace your MAP sensor?[/b]

Yep, I can see a silouette of it but it's gone. I really don't want to take it back to that douche. I will run it over to my wifes uncles place and see what he has to say.

According to the receipt I got from the shop it said MAF sensor. An added pleaser to this is that the SES light came back on. My trouble code scanner should be here tomorrow.

With regards to the vacuum leak, I can completely relate to that. I used to have a built Chevy pickup. After an intake, head, cam, and carb swap one weekend it sounded like a pro stocker. Half a can of ether later I found the vacuum leak.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Apr 5 2008, 01:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sounds to be like the car is setup with a pcm from a gt. probably setup for a 1bar map. if the boost 'bars' are gone, it's in the PCM. you MIGHT be able to swap .bins, but it probably will have different hardware, and need to be swapped. thats my guess. does your performance shift work?[/b]

That's kinda what I thought when I first got the car back, and no the perf. shift doesn't work either. No worries though, as soon as my uncle sam check gets here I'm buying one of the stage 1's from 3800 Performance, unless someone has a better choice of places to go.

What got me with this whole thing is the VIN's didn't match with the windshield tag and the number written on the PCM. I ran both VIN's and they came up as GTP's but the more I think about it the new PCM is probably for a GT.

I pulled the throttle body tonight and gave it a good "wash". cleaned all the gunk off the MAF sensor and pulled out that wierd looking "grill" on the input side. (should I have left it in?) The power is better but it bogs at about 3 grand like a rev limiter kicked in

Now I know why I loved having carburated cars. :lolsign:

Thank you everybody for your help. For the people in Rolling Meadows, I'll probably see you one day. I work in the Olivet Nazarene building on Algonquin.

Small world huh.

Curt

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
def want to put that MAF screen back in. it helps difuse the air before it hits the maf sensor, so it can translate it better.

i would recommend a pcm from zzp more than the 3800 performance ones. unless they are selling DHP, but still, zzp pcm's are unlocked, so you can edit it, or have someone with a tuner mess with it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Apr 6 2008, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
def want to put that MAF screen back in. it helps difuse the air before it hits the maf sensor, so it can translate it better.

i would recommend a pcm from zzp more than the 3800 performance ones. unless they are selling DHP, but still, zzp pcm's are unlocked, so you can edit it, or have someone with a tuner mess with it.[/b]

That certainly explains the stuttering at WOT. The zzp will save me a few bucks to. Thanks phat_ridegt. Back to the garage today I guess. Anybody got a press on 3.4 or 3.5 pulley laying around they would like to sell?

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Apr 6 2008, 12:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

i would recommend a pcm from zzp more than the 3800 performance ones. unless they are selling DHP, but still, zzp pcm's are unlocked, so you can edit it, or have someone with a tuner mess with it.[/b]

hey would having a "cracked" screen suck? (sorry suck was the only work i could come up with)...

when we were putting my engine back in from the cracked fly wheel, one of the guys that was helping me out pressed on it an pushed it in about 1/8" in the center....

moddman

Oct 26, 2007
Midwest
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Apr 5 2008, 11:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

In case your interested in a zzp 1.0 pcm, I am selling one. It is programmed w/perf. shift and rear o2 delete. $75 shipped. just let me know.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (moddman @ Apr 8 2008, 04:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In case your interested in a zzp 1.0 pcm, I am selling one. It is programmed w/perf. shift and rear o2 delete. $75 shipped. just let me know.[/b]

Thanks but my zzp will be here tomorrow. All I need now is that 3.4 press on pulley for the stock blower and I'm in business.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Apr 6 2008, 12:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (curt5446 @ Apr 6 2008, 09:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anybody got a press on 3.4 or 3.5 pulley laying around they would like to sell?[/b]

yep i do lol. a 3.4 i have to find it, but i know i have one
[/b][/quote]

Hey phat_ridegt, did you find that pulley? I'm gonna be in Oswego on Sat. I can swing by and drop off some dough if you'd like. Let me know.

The PCM is in and just as we thought it was the wrong PCM. I swapped the PCM and a 160 stat in about half an hour and now things are cool except the tach doesn't work and the traction control is always off. They are pin 7 and 8 or 8and 9 of the clear connector. I think I'm just happy to have the power back and then some.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Apr 6 2008, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
hey would having a "cracked" screen suck? (sorry suck was the only work i could come up with)...

when we were putting my engine back in from the cracked fly wheel, one of the guys that was helping me out pressed on it an pushed it in about 1/8" in the center....[/b]
anyone?

Bob Kazamakis

I’m the f-ing lizard king
TCG Premium
Oct 24, 2007
Denver
Real Name
Joel
i would say as long as its no restrictive when looking through the TB then it shouldnt be a problem. when i bought my car it was missing the screen; i just hit up the junkyard and got one for free.

if you would rather ditch the whole thing i've got an LS1 TB, adapter and LS1 MAF with screen if interested...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info