3800 Vibration/grinding while in Reverse after TOG install

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Ever since I got my TOG's installed when I put the car in reverse I hear a vibration/grinding noise. Car is fine in park, neutral and drive, it only does it when its in reverse. It never happened when I had the PEMs/3" DP. I dont think its a big problem, but it drives me nuts, and I would like to get it fixed asap.

- Trans dipstick not touching anything (I dont think)

- Tryed some wbodystore shortened dogbones. Car vibrates/grinds in DRIVE. (took them off and put stock back on)

Only things I can think of is that my GMPP swaybar is hitting the header (not sure if its flipped) or my motor moults are bad (they are all stock and original).

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ron Vogel @ Mar 25 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Betcha it's the sway bar. IIRC it wasn't flipped. Your MM's are kind of mushy though. Might want to try rotating them to see if it makes the problem lessen, at least then you'll know for sure.[/b]

Will you have any time to take a look at my car, possibly flip the sway-bar? What motor mounts are you talking about? The ones in my dog bone are in stock position. But like I said, when I put on the shorter dog-bones my car vibrated/grinding in drive. :angry:

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Mar 25 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Its the sway bar, i have the same problem when im in reverse.... it gets louder when you step on the gas correct?[/b]

I wouldn't say louder but it can get softer or louder depending on the incline I am backing up.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Mar 25 2008, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ron Vogel @ Mar 25 2008, 10:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Betcha it's the sway bar. IIRC it wasn't flipped. Your MM's are kind of mushy though. Might want to try rotating them to see if it makes the problem lessen, at least then you'll know for sure.[/b]

Will you have any time to take a look at my car, possibly flip the sway-bar? What motor mounts are you talking about? The ones in my dog bone are in stock position. But like I said, when I put on the shorter dog-bones my car vibrated/grinding in drive. :angry:
[/b][/quote]
I'm not sure, how much time I'll have...but here's a quick thing you can do:

pry the upper mounts rubber back a little and spray in some wd40 all over trying to get it between the metal and the rubber; don't be shy, get it soaked. Get yourself some lockwashers that fit over the bolt to the rad side of the upper mounts. Take off the dogbones, and tighten the bolt all the way to the mount. You should be able to turn the bolt and flip the mount. This will limit forward/backward movement. If this doesn't fix it, it should lessen the problem signifigantly. If it does help, then flipping the swaybar should eliminate the problem completely.

Since you have the GMPP bar, you need to remove a tie rod end to get it out. So plan on getting an alignment afterwards. If it were me, I would replace as much as you can (at least replace the tie rod ends) suspension-wise since you'll be into it.

This is a pretty common problem with TOG's, so don't feel bad.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Mar 25 2008, 11:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (got3800.com @ Mar 25 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its the sway bar, i have the same problem when im in reverse.... it gets louder when you step on the gas correct?[/b]

I wouldn't say louder but it can get softer or louder depending on the incline I am backing up.
[/b][/quote]

lol, yup, i should have fun with this because i have the same problem that your having but im putting in shorter dog bones today to get rid of the lowering spring vibration....thats more annoying for me right now....lol, ill take the little noise over the intense vibrations...lol

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Well as it turns out the sway bar had nothing todo with my problem. Apparently, my car had some homemade short dog bones on it, that wernt as short as the Wbodystore ones but were defiantly shorter than stock. I found this out because one of them was bent a tad, and when I went to replace it with one from another car the other one way was longer. The shorter dog bones were pulling the engine forward making the downpipe/flex hit in the tunnel under the car. Sadly we found out about the dogbones after my tunnel was pounded out a tad and heatshield cut to provide for more Clarence. The car drives flawless now!

b81rwi.jpg

20frko1.jpg

Thank you again SDD.

got3800.com

TCG Elite Member
Sep 3, 2007
Carpentersville, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vipermike2002 @ Mar 31 2008, 08:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well as it turns out the sway bar had nothing todo with my problem. Apparently, my car had some homemade short dog bones on it, that wernt as short as the Wbodystore ones but were defiantly shorter than stock. I found this out because one of them was bent a tad, and when I went to replace it with one from another car the other one way was longer. The shorter dog bones were pulling the engine forward making the downpipe/flex hit in the tunnel under the car. Sadly we found out about the dogbones after my tunnel was pounded out a tad and heatshield cut to provide for more Clarence. The car drives flawless now!
Thank you again SDD.[/b]

huh, no shit. well glad you figured it out.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Did you ever scan and see if you had KR at WOT with the DP banging around in the tunnel?? My old GT obviously had that issue as well. (You and Ron saw the flex. LOL) The car had KR at WOT no matter what I did after I took my solid mounts out and I figured it was something banging around.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Apr 1 2008, 09:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Did you ever scan and see if you had KR at WOT with the DP banging around in the tunnel?? My old GT obviously had that issue as well. (You and Ron saw the flex. LOL) The car had KR at WOT no matter what I did after I took my solid mounts out and I figured it was something banging around.[/b]

When I first got the headers installed on the way home, I saw like 5KR the moment I went WOT. After a fuel trim reset it was back to normal. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• PANDA
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list