3800 idle surge and misfire, tonight car died

my idle started surging on me. i scanned it with my palm and it showed i was getting a misfire in cylinder 4 sometimes. my first thought was a clogged injector so i got some 42# injectors and put them in. but it was still doing it. ive changed out the o2 sensor, coil packs, wires plugs, fuel filter. im not sure what else to do. tonight when i filled up i went for a drive and i was just cruising about 15mph and the car just died. tried to start it back up and it wouldnt fire. i looked under the hood for a lose connection and nothing. closed the hood and got back in and tried to start it. 3rd turn it fired. drove straight home about 10 minute drive and didnt die on me. this is the first time the cars ever died on me. my fuel pump is kinda loud. when i checked the relay tonight, tab 85 was already bent over from the previous owner. im guessing this is why the pump seems loud. is there anything i can scan (have the ls1m) to go from here. my iac are about 30 to 40 at idle. i believe i read somewhere that it should be over 50. ive checked for vacuum leaks and cant find any.

is there anyway to check the map sensor?

is there anything else i can check?

smknL67

Regular
Aug 7, 2007
Bensenville
yeah it can. The thing that sucks about the icm when its starting to go bad it will only miss when it wants to. I had this problem 2 years ago when I had a gtp and my problem was the crank sensor. I replaced probably as much stuff as you did only to fix the problem with $25 (thats what the crank sensor costs at autozone)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ Mar 24 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
problem or not, you need to fix the resistor on the fp... shouldnt leave it that way if you can help it... will only serve to kill your fp faster.[/b]

how do you fix the resistor. i have a zzp fuel pump rewire. will that take care of the resistor. or how do i fix the resistor?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (garrett @ Mar 25 2008, 12:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Toasty @ Mar 24 2008, 07:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
problem or not, you need to fix the resistor on the fp... shouldnt leave it that way if you can help it... will only serve to kill your fp faster.[/b]

how do you fix the resistor. i have a zzp fuel pump rewire. will that take care of the resistor. or how do i fix the resistor?
[/b][/quote]

the fuel pump resistor needs to be replaced... it's up inside the fender by the battery. replace this (doesnt have to be mounted in this place again) and put the prong back on the relay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list