3800 1998 GTP Recall

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
Just got a letter in the mail from GM stating that there MAY be a small risk of my car setting on fire, and so I shouldn't park it in an enclosed area....awesome.

Get to take it into the dealer for free, which is nice because I need my suspension looked over after all the damn potholes I've nailed.

Oh, I'm back on the board, to all the new people, hey, I'm kinda old, although not as old as some of the people here, not calling them old, but well, yeah, whatever.

Update on my prix - 104k miles, zip-tied exhaust, and an engine that's running leaner than the tower of piza.

And also, thanks again John, for getting me back in

-Bryce

Yeah i heard about that this morning, THey said an oil leak on the exhaust manifold my cause an engine fire. And i know two GTP owners that had their cars catch fire last year. Thats Fucked up for them to catch a problem 10+ years especially on two discontinued cars.. BTW has anyone seen the New G8 on the streets yet. I think they're not gonna sell that great and they will be forced to change the name back to the Grand Prix. It might not sell like that Ford Five Hundred which is now the Taurus again

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smknL67 @ Mar 16 2008, 11:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got my letter already, :eek: they are gonna "fix" my leaks lol....wait till they see all the mods on my car :rolleyes:[/b]

Hey will they still cover the recall work even if the car has mods on them or will they try to say that the mods caused the leak to happen. U know how dealers be quick to that it was a customer error

I have two buddies who had GTPs and they were victoms of this and the scary part of it all they were driving when the car caught fire. I wonder if there is anything they can do as far as them getting reinburst something back. I searched for the recall on the net and i didnt see anything about what GM is doing about the owners who were victims of this defect. What u guys think?

I

imported_Theautoguy

I got the letter on my 99' Regal GS. It's my understanding that it just the valve cover gasket which I've already changed to a better one that hasn't leaked since I installed the rockers and valve springs almost 3 years ago. I won't be going in on this recall.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Theautoguy @ Mar 16 2008, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I got the letter on my 99' Regal GS. It's my understanding that it just the valve cover gasket which I've already changed to a better one that hasn't leaked since I installed the rockers and valve springs almost 3 years ago. I won't be going in on this recall.[/b]

I think a lot of people will be like this. I know I had mine replaced years ago because they leaked.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Mar 17 2008, 07:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fish @ Mar 17 2008, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wonder what kind of face they would get when I roll in with a 97 GS with an 05 engine.[/b]

they won't know the difference they are the same appearence wise (except for the gen v, but they wont know that)
[/b][/quote]

Thanks debbie downer.

2000GTPK

Regular
Nov 18, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smknL67 @ Mar 18 2008, 12:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I replaced the gaskets when i did my rockers so Its not worth my time, plus I've done all my work, no need for aprentices to learn on my car.[/b]

im still thinking with my LIM leaking right onto the top of my valve cover that they are gonna tell me they wont fix my VC gasket unless i fix my LIM. if thats the case they can kiss my ass. last dealer i got a quote on for an LIM was 950.... HAHA YEAH RIGHT!!!!! i dont think my cars even worth that much lol

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
I got my letter and my VC does leak like crazy, but I'm still not sure I wanna bring it in. I mean a VC gasket is like dirt cheap, and I'd rather do it myself than, like somebody else said, have some apprentice learning on my car. Not to mention I generally can't stand dealerships, and they'll spend like an hour trying to tell me I need to have them fix everything else that's wrong with the car. I already know it's a POS, KTHXBAI. I think I'd prefer just to do it myself like I was planning when I've got it all ripped apart anyway.

Rich

Regular
Oct 7, 2008
The only reason I am going to the dealer to get mine taken care of is because last year my car did burn, and I have all the melted plastic under the hood to prove it. I changed the vc gasket already, but I am going to have them replace all teh fire damaged parts.

~Rich

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info