3800 Now what.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Alright guys, I'm looking for things to check. I really have no idea where to begin.

First, I recently had the LIM gasket r&r'd at a dealer under my aftermarket warranty among a few other things like the wheel bearing, and endlinks.

Now, yesterday I was driving to work and as I came to a stop from ~60mph the car started to surge. I get to the stoplight, and all is well, but then when I went to take off the car would hesitate, accelerate, hesitate some more, and then continue accelerating. Once I got past around 2500-3000 rpm or so the car was fine. But whenever I'd let off the car would hesitate and then almost want to stall.

I pulled over, put the car in park and then I heard what I would describe as having a big lopey cam. My car was doing a glub glub glub glub glub.... (the SES light wasnt flashing, but was on) sorta thing. I shut it off, and then restarted it and it started fine, seemed fine until I put it into gear and went to take off and it started to hesitate. I went to continue my trek to work, and once I got back above 3k all was fine, so figuring aslong as I kept the rpms up that high, I could make it back to work to diagnose the problem.

WELLLLL.. After about 3 more minutes I recieved some chimes then on the DIC I saw "Service Traction System" then "Service Stability System" and then lastly "Reduced Engine Power" and by this time I was already doing 60, and when I saw the last error pop up I went to accelerate to get over and pull off to the side when I noticed that now the car wasnt responding to my throttle input whatsoever. After about 5 seconds the car then just stalled out. I managed to make it off the road and went to restart it and nada, it just crank and crank and cranks.

So I had it towed back to work, tried restarting it, and it started, displayed "Reduced engine power" and the "Service Traction System" ran for about 20 seconds, started to chug, and then died out. I go to restart it and it just cranks and cranks. If I let it sit for 10 minutes, it'll restart, but if I try right after that it'll only crank.

I scanned the car for codes with a generic MAC tools scanner and it stated a P01### code (I forgot the number) and the scanner said it was a MAF/MAP/Throttle code. I went to reread it and accidently ended up deleting it, but if I saw the code again I'd probably know what it was.

I tried starting the car with the MAP unplugged, same thing, MAF unplugged, same thing, and the Elec.TB unplugged, and of course same thing. I did notice however that the rubber T under the supercharger was broken and had been taped by the dealer that did my LIM repair. Oh and it was actually broke off again and I do not have an idea on how long its been like that (could be up to a week).

Any ideas where I could check? I will be sending the car back to the dealer, but I would just like to have an idea what it could be.

Thanks
-Nick

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I think you have Unicorns shitting in your muffler filters... haha...aaahhh... Honestly, sounds like the dealer didn't do to good of a job, if I where you, take it back and bitch up a storm until they fix it on there bill.[/b]
Agreed. Last time my car was in the roof pealed back. Apparently it resented the rest of the car.

Seriously though, it sounds like the throttle body was not responding. I'm going to assume this is your 04' if this is the case. I agree that it sounds like something electrical came unplugged. I would highly doubt the T coming off would result in anything other than a faulty MAP reading, not boosting fuel pressure, and the symptoms of a very light vacuum leak.

Also, check the fuse for the TB and the MAF.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
there is a bulletin about the wiring from the tac module to the pcm...also i have seen a LOT of problems with the tac moduble (tb) itself. we have replaced a couple dozen of those units....just take it back to the dealer, tell them the problem, and let them fix it. if you have the warranty, depending on what company, most pay for eletrical repairs. gmpp is very good when it comes to that stuff.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ron Vogel @ Mar 9 2008, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Sounds like something electrical wasn't reconnected.[/b]

Everything ran fine for a week, actually, the car ran great. Then this popped up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mike K @ Mar 9 2008, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
I think you have Unicorns shitting in your muffler filters... haha...aaahhh... Honestly, sounds like the dealer didn't do to good of a job, if I where you, take it back and bitch up a storm until they fix it on there bill.[/b]
Agreed. Last time my car was in the roof pealed back. Apparently it resented the rest of the car.

Seriously though, it sounds like the throttle body was not responding. I'm going to assume this is your 04' if this is the case. I agree that it sounds like something electrical came unplugged. I would highly doubt the T coming off would result in anything other than a faulty MAP reading, not boosting fuel pressure, and the symptoms of a very light vacuum leak.

Also, check the fuse for the TB and the MAF.
[/b][/quote]

The TB did seem to stop responding, and yes this is the 04. Nothing electrical was unplugged, atleast from what I inspected (MAF, MAP, TB, O2's..)
I will def. check the fuse. You wouldnt happen to know what number it would be? I did look through the fuse box a little but not really indepth. Recently I blew a fuse for one of my cooling fans which was very random.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (phat_ridegt @ Mar 9 2008, 10:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
there is a bulletin about the wiring from the tac module to the pcm...also i have seen a LOT of problems with the tac moduble (tb) itself. we have replaced a couple dozen of those units....just take it back to the dealer, tell them the problem, and let them fix it. if you have the warranty, depending on what company, most pay for eletrical repairs. gmpp is very good when it comes to that stuff.[/b]

Hmm.. interesting. I'm going to put my stock airbox back in, and get a cat on it since I'm sure since it was just in for $1500 worth of work and now its back that an inspector will be out to see it. Then I'll send it back to the dealer. I have a FORD extended warranty (bought it at a Ford dealer) but I took it to a GM dealer and it was honored w/rental no problem.

Thanks Guys, I appreciate it.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
sorry to hear....... I had a surging problem befoe and it ended up being a bad plug wire.(twice) Just tossin that out there! They did pull the plug wires to work on the LIM right?? I know it sounds odd (maybe) but It seems my wire went bad after taking them off to put new plugs in. just my 2cents

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tonzcompg04 @ Mar 10 2008, 11:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
sorry to hear....... I had a surging problem befoe and it ended up being a bad plug wire.(twice) Just tossin that out there! They did pull the plug wires to work on the LIM right?? I know it sounds odd (maybe) but It seems my wire went bad after taking them off to put new plugs in. just my 2cents[/b]

Yeah they did pull the plug wires, I'll check them out. Never hurts to check EVERYTHING. I should be getting a cat back on it tomorrow so it can go back to the dealer.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DaytonaGTP25 @ Mar 9 2008, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

God damn mythalogical creatures fucking up my shit.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tonzcompg04 @ Mar 19 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Any update Nick?[/b]

Yes sir, I got a cat.. back onto the car and took it in. Seems as though the vacuum lines were "worn" and they needed replacing. Mainly the vacuum line to the MAP, which they broke, black taped, and fell off thus causing my problems. That I had replaced on their dime (it was just there 2 weeks before this for the LIM gasket). They also replaced an axle seal, and the rear valve cover. I just noticed I have a slight leak in one of my trans hoses, and also the oil pressure sensor. I'm pretty tired of taking the car in so I will wait to take it in for those things and some other things I may find/break in the next few months.

Thank you aftermarket warranty. Repair total = $100.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info