3800 Want to upgrade!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys. I was wondering is there more mods that i can add on with the basic/beginner mods that i already have. Im not trying to have track capability but a little more neck jerk when i open it up. 3.4 press-on, DHP v1.0, Thrasher CAI, NGK TR55 plugs,MSD wires, u-bend/res deleted, stock mufflers (which sounds GREAT) What should i do next any suggestions?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
try tr-6 plugs over the tr-55s
they will help a little more for trying to be knock free
if you dont have a scanner then i suggest you get one first. throwing a 3.4 on if you currently have knock would not be good. and scanning once is not what i mean, you need one you can use often. add a 180 thermostat to the list, as well as a coolant flush. if you are not using mobil-1 syn. oil i would switch to it.

1quick

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jan 29, 2008
coal city
no you would not get an ses light, I would say headers or rockers, why spent 2 or 3 hundred on ported manis or p-log and ported rear when you could buy headers for 3 something and get almost dubble the hp out of them vs ported, and rockers are good if you dont want a cam

brett

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yungGTP @ Dec 30 2007, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Oh i forgot to mention the180 t-stat and i always use syn oil. If my car has knock , wont that trigger a SES light. And where would i purchase this scanner, whats it for and how much do they usually run? (Dont forget im a beginner so u have to break it down to me :unsure: )[/b]

no it will not trigger the ses knock retard is a dynamic part of the engine managment and is supposed to be invisible to the car owner. works fairly well on a stock engine but is still subject to sensor sensitivity (tightness in the block) and other production tolerances (freq range etc).
it works by running the engine on the built in spark tables, when it "see's" detonation THEN it starts to pull timing...that short period is more than enough to cause engine damage on a moded motor.
This is why you have to scan/log it and then eliminate it with further tuning or mods to help airflow.
several scanners are available on the market (scangauge,LS1m, and others i'm sure) but if you have a future modding afliction do yourself right and get a tuner, then the PCM is putty in your hands...

thanks for the advise fellas. I think im gonna get a scanner this weekend and go from there. It sounds like headers and rockers are the next step along with the scanner then im gonna STOP after that. Does it matter if the scanner is generic as long as it can read and change live data right? What the hell does anyone on here have one for sale or can show me how to tune it so i can get my feet wet cause i was under the impression that all i had to do was order and install and i was good to go

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
you wont find a scanner that can change live data...but if you mean real-time than yes thats what you need. the l1sm is perfect, but they dont make em anymore. it is a software ran through a palm pilot. very good scanner and very portable. watch the classifeds at club gp they typically go for 150 or so. the auto tap is nice as well. they are a bit pricey, but has very nice software. you need a laptop to run it though.

you can order and install a 1.0 pcm (dhp/zzp/shitense) but they are generic tunes, and are probably good for your car (I/E/P) but to have a good tune you will need to adjust different fuel and spark tables to your cars likings, because each car is different. a zzp 1.0 pcm is a good start, and with a scanner, you will probably be ok, but a tuner is best

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info