3800 ANyone have exp w/tankless water heater yet?

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I havent heard to much about them except for unhappy performances. Too long to get warm, broke down quickly, etc.

Consumer reports said a few models didnt really offer good warrenties or back them up for that matter.

Id really like to install one of these in the upcoming year to save some space in a closet, but dont really know to many people with them yet. Otherwise, Ill just go with the tried and true 50 gal, 12 year warrenty.

I

imported_FastKatt

We've had one for a little over a year now
We love it, it doesn't take any longer for us to get hot water than with the 50gal unit
We got the smaller one, it's not for more than 1 thing at a time...
So, shower OR laundry, dishwasher OR Fill the bath tub

Get the one made to do more than 1 fixture at a time,...
When we move, we will get a bigger one in the new place for sure

1 thing, it takes longer to fill the bath tub with the tankless
It slows down the water if it needs to hold it a tad longer as it passes threw the heating coils
I think this would be considerably less noticeable with the multi fixture model

Either way, we feel it's money well spent!
Not heating the water 'till you need it FTW!

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
We've had one for a little over a year now
We love it, it doesn't take any longer for us to get hot water than with the 50gal unit
We got the smaller one, it's not for more than 1 thing at a time...
So, shower OR laundry, dishwasher OR Fill the bath tub

Get the one made to do more than 1 fixture at a time,...
When we move, we will get a bigger one in the new place for sure

1 thing, it takes longer to fill the bath tub with the tankless
It slows down the water if it needs to hold it a tad longer as it passes threw the heating coils
I think this would be considerably less noticeable with the multi fixture model

Either way, we feel it's money well spent!
Not heating the water 'till you need it FTW! [/b]

what is the rating on the one you have installed (Gal/min etc...) ?

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
You have the whole house heater correct? Or do you have the heater that is under the sink/etc? The ones they have nowadays can do 3+ at a time.

I think I was looking at a 100,000 BTU unit for my house recently for about $1000. I only have one bath and no dishwasher.

I

imported_FastKatt

AQ 125 BNG By BOSCH

* Delivers up to 4.3 gallons per minute
* Standing pilot
* No electricity needed
* 12-year warranty on heat exchanger – 2 years on parts
* Provides ENDLESS supply of hot water
* Saves up to 50% off utility costs
* Compact and lightweight
* Can simply hang on the wall
* Modulating gas valve to control temperature
* Pressure relief valve included
* IMPORTANT: Model AQ4 power vent is required for horizontal venting
* CSA approved

Why can't I edit my other post??? :unsure:

EDIT: This one I can edit??? is it because there is no reply yet?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
AQ 125 BNG By BOSCH

* Delivers up to 4.3 gallons per minute
* Standing pilot
* No electricity needed
* 12-year warranty on heat exchanger – 2 years on parts
* Provides ENDLESS supply of hot water
* Saves up to 50% off utility costs
* Compact and lightweight
* Can simply hang on the wall
* Modulating gas valve to control temperature
* Pressure relief valve included
* IMPORTANT: Model AQ4 power vent is required for horizontal venting
* CSA approved

Why can't I edit my other post??? :unsure:

EDIT: This one I can edit??? is it because there is no reply yet? [/b]

you have x amount of seconds to edit your post before it is permanent after you post it

chitown chevy

Jul 15, 2007
Well I happen to be a licensed plumber here in chicago, I have been doing plumbing for the last 10 years. I have installed a bunch of these units throughout the years and I have noticed they do not last. They use such a high heat burner thay seem to burn themselves out and are replaced two to one over your standard hot water tank. Also keep in mind they cost more and cost a whole lot more to install. You have to use a class 3 stainless steel vent pipe which has to go through the wall and vent off the side of your house. You cannot use your existing chimney to vent this you will star a fire. The install kits that home depot sells come with the stainless vent, but cost about 3-4 hundred dollars. So you have about 1400 dollars in cost of tank and vent, plus the cost of re piping the water supply and hot feed with proper drain valves and such. If you have money to burn they are very efficent as far as cost to operate but in the long run I dont see them very well worth it. If you do decide to go this route I would be happy to help you with any questions (just pm me or post here) and if you decide to stick with a traditional style hot water tank get yourself an A.O. Smith, and if your concerned about what size to get this may help.
apartment with single bath=30 gallon
House with up to two baths with 2 residents=40 gallon
house with up to 3 baths(no large jacuzzi)= 50 gallon or high recovery 50 gallon (preferred)
House with multiple baths and large jacuzzi tub=75 gallon

chitown chevy

Jul 15, 2007
I concur on the costly venting and the longevity statement sounds logical.

I'm curious about the AO Smith over Rheem ideas though.
[/b]

Yeah I used to use rheem tanks, but I dont know if they changed where they manufacture there tanks because their quality seemed to be going downhill and ao smiths warranty is 2nd to none, Yoou get in home repair/replacement service with minimal hassle for the warranty period. I just suggest ao smith because of the years of trouble free operation and great support from the company.

I

imported_Theautoguy

I understand the warranty; for appliances like this to offer on-home service as part of the warranty is very good. However, I've sold Rheem for over 10 years now and have had very few come back in that time with issues.

I'm guessing 6 of one and a half dozen of another.

If I wanted someone to come in and replace a unit then I'd definately call you. If I was doing it myself I can usually get gas or electric units for cheap. However, in some cases a water heater replacement can be a real pain in the butt; I don't envy some of the stuff you guys have to do...or having to deal with some of the customers you have to deal with!

chitown chevy

Jul 15, 2007
I understand the warranty; for appliances like this to offer on-home service as part of the warranty is very good. However, I've sold Rheem for over 10 years now and have had very few come back in that time with issues.

I'm guessing 6 of one and a half dozen of another.

If I wanted someone to come in and replace a unit then I'd definately call you. If I was doing it myself I can usually get gas or electric units for cheap. However, in some cases a water heater replacement can be a real pain in the butt; I don't envy some of the stuff you guys have to do...or having to deal with some of the customers you have to deal with!
[/b]

I guess its like the old arguement "ford vs. chevy" its all expierience they are both good tanks. As far as dealing with homeowners you are right on the money some can be very difficult to deal with. As far as difficulty to install they are pretty easy unless there was some contractor who decided it be a good idea to mount it 10 feet in the air on a little platform in someones bedroom closet.

I

imported_Theautoguy

I replaced a 40 gallon with a 50 gallon at my house. The problems I had are the basement is fully finished so the water heater is wedged between a wall and the underside staircase wall; I had about an inch on either side to play with. The bigger battle for me was trying to solder it back up...I didn't know about those line plugs to keep residual water from dripping back down the pipe, screwing up the solder joint. To add to the frustration, the old heater's drain valve was so crapped up I had to haul it up a flight of stairs with it about half full!

The furnace is in the same room and that was a major PITA to replace; I only had access to two sides to do it!

I'm glad I can afford to have you professionals do this stuff now.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
Before I got my BS in Engineering I spent 6 years as a residential service plumber and I recommend either A. O. Smith or Rheem/Ruud, but nothing else. Never buy an off-brand - parts are frequently proprietary and are a pain in the butt to find. There are two water heaters in the house I recently bought, and both are Whirlpool brand sold by Lowe's. Both water heaters had the thermocouple fail and I had to contact Whirlpool directly and have them ship out an entire new burner/gas valve assembly for each because there was a recall on these units. I spent 3 days without hot water.

Silvapain

Regular
Jan 29, 2008
Limestone
FYI, IIRC both Rheem/Ruud and A. O. Smith use the same gas control valves (Robert Shaw). It's the tanks themselves that are really the only difference, and both companies do a good job putting a thick glass lining inside them. That's where the off-brand tanks skimp, and where you'll notice the difference 5-10 years down the line when the off-brand starts leaking.

Of course, it's been a few years since I was read-up on water heaters, so things may have changed.

chitown chevy

Jul 15, 2007
I can get you set up with a 50 gallon Rheem Vanguard heater through me for $288.38. We have one in Burr Ridge and one in Niles at our distribution center; I may be able to have it available at Grainger nearer you within a day.

Here's the link:

Grainger Water Heater

Let me know if you're interested.

Don
[/b]

Thats a good price. What do they list for. about $600?

I

imported_Theautoguy

We really don't put "List" prices in the book anymore since we're B to B. However, we do have "contractor pricing" that's lower than book price. What I quoted is my employee price which I can extend to family and friend...and I consider most of ILGPC one or the other.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info