3800 Leaking Trans Fluid! Did my axle pop out?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I took my car to the store after not driving it for 3 days. When I was pulling away from the store I looked in my mirror and saw a rather large puddle of liquid. I got out and it was trans fluid. I look under the car and see where it was leaking from. It looks like from my driver side axle, where it goes into the trans. This axle was replaced about a month ago with a WBodystore part. I called a tow truck as I didnt want to damage the car farther and got it towed to my shop. I only drove the car to a better position for the tow trunk and for about 30ft into my shop. I took off the wheel and took some pics...

DSC_1804.jpg

DSC_1806.jpg

DSC_1812.jpg

DSC_1814.jpg

Could this be a simple, pop the axle back into place and change the trans fluid fix?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
i had the same thing happen....

http://s53.photobucket.com/albums/g56/phat...nt=102_1515.flv

the first time it happened like 2 days after they put my trans in at zzp. they said the output shaft was in backwards or some shit. i dont even think thats possible...but anyway the 2nd time it was like 4 days after they had it for a different trans replated problem, couldnt get ahold of the trans shop, got the run around, and ended up being the c-clip was missing, axle seal was shot because of it, and i had to replace the axle. just pop it in and see if it will go. mine would slide back and forth VERY freely

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Fixed! :D

A little background. A few months ago I replaced my driver side axle with a Wbodystore unit because my CV boots were leaking. The previous owner also replaced the driver side axle a few months before I bought the car. We had a very hard hard time getting the axle out of the trans. We got it out but pulled out the output shaft with it. We put the output shaft back in the trans as we pulled it out and then installed the driver axle. Put the car back together and all was good. Took the car to the track two times and probably put 2,000 miles on it before the trans started leaking fluid at where the axle connects to the trans.

Well myself and some of my dads guys took a closer look at the car today. I pushed the axle back into the trans and it moved probably half a inch but I still wasn't sure it was correctly in there so we took out the entire axle to check to see if it was somehow damaged. Nothing seemed wrong and the C clip was still there. I went on ILGPC to see if anyone replyed to my thread and I read Dans response. We then pulled out the output shaft and sure enough was backwords. That is why the axle never really fully got "locked in". We put the car together and I add'ed a few quarts of trans fluid and it drove fine and didnt leak a drop. Im not sure how the output shaft got backwords, maybe when the previous owner changed the axle? Maybe the car had some trans work sometime, who knows but it was backwords. This could explain why it was so hard getting the axle off to install the new wbodystore axle. Im not sure how it took this long to start leaking though. :lolsign:

Thanks for the reply s guys and Thank You James for your phone support!

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Fixed! :D

Thanks for the reply s guys and Thank You James for your phone support! [/b]

no problem sucks i was in podunk IL (SW of oswego/ottawa) we did get that tube roller, got the miller 251 HiFreq box so i can do 300amp Tig welding at work :yay:

got the Leblond Regal engine lathe set in it's new home.... :naughty:

glad you got it figured out...did it pull right out after i talked to ya the last time?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info