3800 Installed a Gutted airbox and a 195* t/stat and now get part throttle KR

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I got anoyed with the loud noise my open open intake made on a cold startup so I installed a gutted stock airbox with K&N filter. Just for the winter. I also put in a stock 195* thermostat, thinking this might help my gas milage in the winter and my heat will work better. AND I put the engine cover back on the car. I installed these things, uploaded the stock fan settings to the PCM, reset the fuel trims and drove for a few days, till this morning when i went out for a scan.

I was driving normaly, no WOT runs or anything. Here is parts of my scan when I got part throttle KR.

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4591

Anyone know what could be wrong? I did leak some coolant onto the engine during the thermostat install, could I have damaged some sensor? Or would a simple sway BACK to my 180* fix this issue?

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
i would of switched pulleys and added timing before i took off any of the items you listed to help gas mileage
no need for the torque gain a 3.4 gives you during the winter
[/b]

Im letting the car cool down then im putting a 180* back in, hopefully this will solve the problem. :unsure:. Im going to put a 3.5 pulley on as soon as Voytec gets the MPS off that snout.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I am now back running a 180* thermo and I still have this problem... :unsure: Here is a scan of me driving around, mostly on the highway where this part throttle KR seems to happen the easiest.

http://www.scandepot.net/viewscan.php?pk=4592

Like I said, I went from a open cone to a gutted airbox, and I changed a idler pulley a few days before that. I have never got part throttle KR before.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Putting in a 195, putting the cover back on and switching to the stock air box WILL raise your KR.....Little confused at your question?????

Your heat should be fine with a 180 in. Id get check elsewhere for your heating problems.
[/b]

Car is back to original 180/open cone setup. I still have part throttle KR.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
I notced I got KR when going up a hill and giving light to moderate gas, in addition to 60+mph and light throttle. I think this could be my plugs, AL 104's probably 4 months old. Im going to have to take Bobs advice and install some TR6's. If plugs and say a stock timing table doesent fix this, idk what else. Im currently running a modified timing table by Ron Vogel and previously never had this problem. I went to the track a week ago, installed the stock thermo and gutted airbox a few days after that and then scanned the car. Maybe my plugs fouled out after the racing and it was just conquicidence that I notice the part throttle KR during a scan after installing that shit. Im still not going to rule out that I put regular gas in the car. But what is weird is that I get no part throttle KR at under highway speeds.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Im not sure... As my gas was running low I did another scan, and no part throttle KR on the highway under light acceleration! I last fillup in wisconsin at a BP, so maybe I got bad gas, who knows. I changed my plugs anyway to TR6's as I was running 104's before. I also got gas from a BP in this area. No problems yet, should I attept to put the gutted airbox back on? :ph34r:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info