3800 Fuel problems part 2

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
So this morning I replaced my apparently dieing fuel pump with the stock pump that WBS sells. Went for some scanning a few min. ago. The result? Worse. A whole fuckload worse. As in 3.96 degrees of KR at part throttle, o2's that never make it above 930 and like to fall to about 880 up top. Peak KR is about the same but now I get it all over the power band not just above 5 grand. LFT runs about 7.9 and SFT is zeroed out. The car starts a ton faster and easier easier now and the pump is silent which is a nice change, but I'm afraid to press the gas more than 25% of the way down. Seriously WTF? :angry:
The batt. was disconnected while I swapped the pump, and I drove it at least 20 miles in varying conditions, with probably 8 or 9 key cycles so I don't know if the PCM could still be trying to figure shit out or what? I actually had one log that showed 0 KR all the way up, but the one before it and the 2 after all sucked.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
LTFT was positive. at light cruise it stays around + 3, with a bit of gas it hits about + 6. 75% throttle it hits +10.2 and at WOT it drops to + 7 ish. SFT is zeroed at WOT and fluctuates between - 3 and + 3 during normal cruise. 02 is scary lean all the time.

I really should be going to sleep, I have a job interview in the morning, but this is really bothering me LOL.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Think I figured it out. Pump problem. Now the damned thing will barely even start any more. Twice now the car has started surging on me. Before that happened I made another logging run where my O2 was only at 840 with 8* KR :eek:

I think its the corrugated hose watchamacallit that came with the pump. Either it's cracked or I just didn't get it on tight. The problems got worse as the fuel level got lower so I'm pretty sure it's a crack someplace in the middle that once it wasn't fully submerged started bleeding off all my fuel pressure. I hope to all Hell I can get one from a dealership bright and early because the thing MUST be fixed and running before 1PM tomorrow or I'm fucked for getting to work. I can't even take the pump out first to check it out since I won't have time to do the job twice. Lovely.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
:lame: OMFG
I just read the description of the hose on the WBS website. The hose has different size fittings at each end. I failed to notice this. (apparently my GF did but failed to tell me :rolleyes: ) I think I put it on backwards LOL. I do remember it being really easy to get on one side and damn near impossible on the other end, but my GF was whinning about shit so I was rushing so I didn't think about it. Now I need to see if I can pry the thing off without breaking it and flip it around. Hopefully that's it. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put on my Mom's wedding dress and see how deep I can cut myself before I pass out. ATHF FTW for those who missed the reference LOL.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Okay so I pulled the pump back out. That damned corrugated hose pretty much just fell off as soon as I touched it. Geuss it wasn't tight enough LOL. Clamped it to fuck and back this time. Saw something I've never witnessed as long as I've owned the car: Negative fuel trims! So negative in fact that it starved its'elf at idle a couple times. After driving for about half an hour till the trims settled I did a logging run. I'm still getting scary amounts of KR at part throttle. I'm gonna raise the BBV a bit and see if that helps. At WOT though my nubers still look like shit. Still about 5* KR and O2 readings in the low 900's and high 800's. LFT at WOT was still like 12.5 though so I'll give the car some more time to figure itself out. SFT was zeroed the whole run though. But it starts up instantly now and it doesn't backfire any more, so that's pretty sweet. I just hope it gets the WOT numbers dialed in a bit more. As it stands it doesn't look any better than it did on the half dead stock pump.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Dammit. It's still way lean. Better, don't get me wrong, but it just seems to run totally out of fuel above 5 grand. Part throttle KR has gotten better. LFT's have gone positive again but not as bad. It's improved but theres no way it should be this bad on a stock pulley with enough supporting mods for at least a 3.5. On my next day off I need to grab some carb cleaner and do a good hard vaccum leak check (again). Something is really freakin fishy.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• T
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list