3800 Im stuck with a big decision......

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
So Im trying to start my college education online through Devry. Ive read all the programs they offer and I wanted to do Biomedical Engineering Tech. So I go online and start filling out the app and BET isnt avaliable through online courses. GRRRR!!!!!! So now Im looking at everything they offer online and Im just kinda bleh. I want to do something besides sitting at a desk for 8 hours a day. Gets pretty lame. I want more hands on. If I do something in computers Id rather do hardware then software since hardware is install and boom. Software is more troubleshooting then I really want to handle. I hate doing software on my home computers.

Just venting. Finally get started doing something and I hit a snag. Woohoo.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
... I want more hands on. If I do something in computers Id rather do hardware then software since hardware is install and boom. Software is more troubleshooting then I really want to handle. I hate doing software on my home computers.

Just venting. Finally get started doing something and I hit a snag. Woohoo. [/b]

hey if your good and fast i know Al works at a place off of barrington rd and 90 that puts together store networks/server systems for registers etc...mostly assebly/breakdown etc work...it's not 100% assembly cause you have to help unload the pallets of parts sort etc.

you should come over and pick up your hat :lolsign: and talk to Al

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Biomedical engineering is basically working on big medical equipment. MRI machines and such. Basically if one were to break down you are called in to repair it.

Havent really done networking since HS but Im sure I could pick it back up.

Thought about going for criminal justice, but I couldnt hack it as a cop. If I were to be a cop Id hate working a beat just to jump to detective which is more or less what I do now just in a corperate manor.

Devry is pretty pricey but its a 3 year program VS 4 years. Plus since I turn 25 this year and dont really make all that much money and live on my own I should be able to qualify for financial aid. Plus the online courses really are a plus. I watched Jacque do her UoP online and it was pretty nice. My only downside is that someone would say something stupid and I cannot retort in ways that we can get away with here. LOL.

I also wouldnt want to do auto stuff either. Bad enough I sometimes get pissed off at working on my car. (If anyone remembers the fucking header install)

UR LOSN

Pirate Sloth!
Oct 22, 2007
Rockford
I had went to Devry for 1.5 years...for Electrical engineering. IT IS JUNK. I will never go back there.

they say hands on education. they just hand you a packet filled with instructions on what to do, and tell you to do it. they dont teach, they dont explain what you are learning, and what you are suppose to gain from it. biggest waste of my money ever.

I changed professions from auto to aviation. I got tired of coming home dirty everyday, not having time ot work on my own cars...just gets old. plus there is really no where to go from being a tech, to an ASE tech. sure you can be a service manager...that is it.

good luck with your future.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Brian - Computer forensics will be pretty lucrative for the foreseeable future. I have a one friend that is currently working on his certification. I have another that works for one of the Big 5 firms that stumbled on to security and forensics. It's interesting and challenging stuff.

I know it's still a computer career, but I would think you'd have chances to be "out and about" visiting clients, etc.

If you'd like to talk to my buddy, PM me your # and I'll have him call ya. He can give you some insight on opportunities and specializations.

Info:
http://www.worldwidelearn.com/online-educa...nsics-major.htm

Excerpt from the article:
"Consulting is a lucrative field for computer forensics professionals. Rather than working with a company or government agency, these individuals are "free agents." They take cases at will, and often charge a high dollar for their time. Consultants typically earn their income through billable hours, or billing the client per hour. This method typically is very lucrative, with large consulting firms billing between $375 and $600 per hour."

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
Brian seriosly consider Biomedical engineering. I work hand in hand with some of the Biomed guys here at Masonic.

It is a good profession and lets face it.. Medical Field is growing in leaps and bound in technologyand the need for qualified technicians is there.

Just an example of something that happened recently.
We had to set up a mobile MRI truck . We had the biomed guys..the IS staff and the Pacs team all working hand in hand to get this system up and running.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Brian seriosly consider Biomedical engineering. I work hand in hand with some of the Biomed guys here at Masonic.

It is a good profession and lets face it.. Medical Field is growing in leaps and bound in technologyand the need for qualified technicians is there.

Just an example of something that happened recently.
We had to set up a mobile MRI truck . We had the biomed guys..the IS staff and the Pacs team all working hand in hand to get this system up and running.
[/b]

I definatly want to, but they offer nothing online that I can find. I am unable to goto a steady class since I am on a rotating shift on a rotating schedule. So the weeks I do work are rotating between first and second shift. There is no stability in my work schedule and I cannot goto a class like that.

I think what Ill do instead is have a sit down meeting with a counselor. Maybe I can do class work online and then schedule a lab day. The guys I work with are pretty cool with switching if you really need something.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
I had went to Devry for 1.5 years...for Electrical engineering. IT IS JUNK. I will never go back there.

they say hands on education. they just hand you a packet filled with instructions on what to do, and tell you to do it. they dont teach, they dont explain what you are learning, and what you are suppose to gain from it. biggest waste of my money ever.

I changed professions from auto to aviation. I got tired of coming home dirty everyday, not having time ot work on my own cars...just gets old. plus there is really no where to go from being a tech, to an ASE tech. sure you can be a service manager...that is it.

good luck with your future.
[/b]

Maybe you just didnt pay attention. :eek: ;) In all honesty I had some pretty dam good teachers at Devry (chicago). This was 8 years ago but hey im sure its still good. Im glad I went to Devry! 27yrs old making 60+K a year.....cant complain!

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Devry sucked IMO

"job placement" yeah..right

tonz..if you got a job thru them you are the first person I know of about 25 people I still talk to that got a job from devry.

Mr A the math teacher? Ok yeah..great teacher there.

He taught pre calc for..

precalc
calc 1
and calc 2

we took the same test over 3 terms..I got A's in each class. I dont know SHIT about calculus 1 let alone calc 2.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info