3800 Gremlins are running rampant

Drob8

Jan 27, 2008
Well, I've got 119,000 miles on my lightly-modded '01 GTP and the gremlins are all starting to come out at the same time. I'm looking for some help/advice on my poor car. Here's what I've got going for me:
  • Exhaust leak (self-induced by TOG header install)
  • Car sputters at WOT
  • ABS and TCS periodically come on. ABS feels like it tries to engage during normal braking and then the dummy lights turn on. TCS OFF light comes on and that's it until I turn the car off and on again.
  • DIC periodically turns off killing heated seat, automatic headlights and blower motor for climate control.
  • Front control arm bushings need to be replaced.
  • Coolant is leaking from the intake manifold.
Here's what I've done so far to try and help:
  • Tried exhaust repair kit. That stuff is crap. Not made to handle that much heat.
  • Nothing.
  • Just started so nothing yet.
  • Hit the dashboard...no effect. :)
  • Took it to Midas but couldn't swallow the repair cost.
  • Took it to Midas...this one was worse than the control arms.
If anyone has any helpful advice, I'm all ears. I just finished paying it off a few months ago and was hoping to keep the car another 2 years. I was actually looking forward to modding it again, but now I'm concerned.

Thanks guys!

Mike

Drob8

Jan 27, 2008
You guys rock!

OK, so...
  • I'm not too worried about the exhaust leak. If anyone's interested in looking, I pay bottom dollar. :)
  • I haven't replaced the fuel filter yet (slap on wrist)...I'll give that a whirl. Plugs should be good, I just replaced them about 5000 miles ago. Wires haven't been replaced since I bought the car, but they were the Taylor 8mm. Should I look to replace?
  • I'll be bold and see if I can see anything obvious with the ABS wires and connections. Front wheel hubs were replaced a few years ago. Hopefully those are still good.
  • Stupid DIC. :)
  • I tried Ron, but I get the sense he's a bit busy these days with the new job. He hasn't responded recently. Maybe I'll try W-body store.
  • And the dreaded LIM gasket. Anyone offer any support here? Is this a ton of work or what?
Thanks again for the suggestions...I'll let everyone know what I end up with.

Mike

May 24, 2007
Wouldnt be able to tell ya till this weekend. i have to replace.....*Clearing Throat*..... LIM gasket, TB gasket, S/C gastet, Valve cover gasket, Thermostat, Plugs and Wires. not to mention install IC set up. if you want to do the gaskets I can help dont know how much work is involved but i have done them before...(I know, it doesnt make sense)

If anyone can PnP my SC while its off my car ill be willing to pay...

Drob8

Jan 27, 2008
No sweat. I'm out in VA this week and it's my duaghter's birthday party this weekend, so I'm not in much shape myself.

I read another thread about coolant mixing in with engine oil if the LIM gasket is bad, so now I'm more worried than before.

So this begs another question...if I'm going to replace the LIM gasket, are there any mods I should be looking at while I've got everything off? Suggestions are always welcome.

Ricky - If you're up for it sometime, please let me know what weekends work best and I'll try to clear some time. PM me and let me know what you need.

Mike

Drob8

Jan 27, 2008
OK...fuel filter is changed and initially all seems ok. I do still get a stutter, but now it seems to only do it when the nast vibrations from the control arm bushings are rumbling. False knock maybe? Not sure, but I'll keep an eye on it this week.

I found some pics of the ABS connection online, so I'll take a peek tomorrow.

Just emailed Ron again about the suspension...hopefully he's got some time.

LIM Gasket anyone? Ricky - how did your weekend go with your LIM gasket and other repairs? Did you get everything taken care of?

On a side note, if I get the LIM gasket replaced, are there any mods I should be looking to do while I have everything apart? I don't have much cash, but if the timing is right, there's always credit. :)

Thanks all for the help.

Mike

I

imported_Xerxeis

I just did my LIM gasket, UIM and gasket, amongst other things a few weeks ago...took us about 10 hours total from start to full fluid finish, but we did pressure wash parts off as needed inbetween...My coolant passage supports had collapsed...and there were actually plastic chunks missing...I'd never tore into one of these engines before, but after doing it once, i bet i could do it again faster and just as good ^.^ Still no leaks and no fluid level changes.

Biggest PITA is the torq specs...make sure you have an in/lb wrench...it'll make all the difference...

and make sure you get aluminum gaskets...$5 more and no chance it'll crack and fail again.

The dealer quoted me $600 for labor replacing the gasket...plus cost of the gasket and other gaskets...so i saved a bunch....make sure you have extra coolant elbows...one of mine had broke off in the manifold...it wasn't leaking, but it would have eventually...

I also did a ZZP PCM and Stage 1 HVTB when i did mine, but then again, i have a GT, but you could still get a GTP HVTB...Rockers would be good if you're doing valve cover gaskets at the same time while you have the covers off...

ok, that's all i know ^.^

Drob8

Jan 27, 2008
OK...new update:

ABS is hopefully fixed - as suggested, one of the wires had enough insulation shaved off to expose the bare wire which I'm guessing was kicking my ABS on and off. The fabric sleeve was completely shredded but still hanging around. A little bit of yellow electrical tape and I think I'm good.

[attachmentid=3180]
Driver Side with new yellow electrical tape

[attachmentid=3182]
Passenger Side still looks good

While I was in there, I took some pics of the control arm bushings.

[attachmentid=3181]
Driver Side

[attachmentid=3179]
Passenger Side

I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to look like, but the driver side is definitlely different than the passenger side. Anyone know how tough this job is?

Thanks for the info Xerxeis. I really don't have any tools or spare parts, so I'm looking for some big time help with the LIM. I've gotta get this figured out soon though.

Mike

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
I just did my LIM yesterday. It really isn't "that" bad. I mean it's a PITA, because of all the crap you gotta pull off and put back on, but none of it was actually difficult per se. Over the course of 2 days it probably took me around 8 hours total, not counting all the interruptions and distractions. As far as tools, all you really need is a decent socket set. You should also have a torque wrench, but it can be done without it (I hope, cause I didn't have one....) The parts cost from ZZP was like $118 shipped. That incuded $30 for valve cover gaskets that I wound up being too lazy to bother replaing yet. Definately spend the extra $5 for the aluminum gasket. Soooo much better made. You'll also need the supercharger gasket, supercharger coolant O-rings, coolant elbows (I only needed the upper one) and injector O-rings wouldn't be a bad idea since your in there. Just take your time and make sure to mark where all the bolts and vac lines go back to.

Xtant12

TCG Elite Member
May 31, 2007
OK...new update:

ABS is hopefully fixed - as suggested, one of the wires had enough insulation shaved off to expose the bare wire which I'm guessing was kicking my ABS on and off. The fabric sleeve was completely shredded but still hanging around. A little bit of yellow electrical tape and I think I'm good.

[attachmentid=3180]
Driver Side with new yellow electrical tape

[attachmentid=3182]
Passenger Side still looks good

While I was in there, I took some pics of the control arm bushings.

[attachmentid=3181]
Driver Side

[attachmentid=3179]
Passenger Side

I'm not sure exactly what that's supposed to look like, but the driver side is definitlely different than the passenger side. Anyone know how tough this job is?

Thanks for the info Xerxeis. I really don't have any tools or spare parts, so I'm looking for some big time help with the LIM. I've gotta get this figured out soon though.

Mike
[/b]

That abs thing happened to me.. I extended the wires like 3 times and for some reason it still tore out.. It fell out again over winter and I decided not to fix it.. BUT, that should fix that problem..

And I agree with the fuel filter post.. Mine was clogged so bad when I bought my car it misfired/bogged just normal driving.. And a tune up wouldnt hurt..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info