3800 Electrical problems

• Thread starter imported_Diavolo
  • Start date
I

imported_Diavolo

I have a wierd electrical problem going on with my car. This happens about 75% of the time in my car. My DIC, AC, rear defroster, and blower (fan) won't work at all. If I put my fans at off or 5, my headlights will work. If I put my fans at 1,2,3 or 4, my headlights will either not work, or flash on and off very fast.

Sometimes, My DIC, AC, and rear defroster will work, but once I turn my fans from off to on, then everything will shut off again and won't come back on.

Sometimes my fans work if I turn them all the way to 5 but they take about 5 seconds to turn on and the DIC, AC, rear defroster won't work.

I have not touched anything electronical for about 2 years since I put on the fuel pump rewire and the ALT rewire.

Any suggestions on what I can test?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I have a wierd electrical problem going on with my car. This happens about 75% of the time in my car. My DIC, AC, rear defroster, and blower (fan) won't work at all. If I put my fans at off or 5, my headlights will work.

If I put my fans at 1,2,3 or 4, my headlights will either not work, or flash on and off very fast. [/b]

ok i'm 75.9% sure that you have an electrical backfeed, i have actually had this in 2 gm's one a van the otheri cant remember (did shots of yager/Dp last night) the van was in the last 3 years...the clue is that everything works when the high speed fan relay is on (position 5 aka MAX)

you have a ground issue and when the high speed fan relay clicks onit actuall backfeeds current oposite of normal

Sometimes, My DIC, AC, and rear defroster will work, but once I turn my fans from off to on, then everything will shut off again and won't come back on.

Sometimes my fans work if I turn them all the way to 5 but they take about 5 seconds to turn on and the DIC, AC, rear defroster won't work.

I have not touched anything electronical for about 2 years since I put on the fuel pump rewire and the ALT rewire.

Any suggestions on what I can test? [/b]

the delay is probably the instances of it flowing current in the normal direction but encountering significant ground resistance

check you diagrams for where the headlight/HVAC (fan and AC)/dic grounds are routed...

if youve had any work done recently to the car (doesnt have to be electronical :lolsign: ) there is a chance a ground wire was damaged...

then again if the ground is inthe interior you may have massive winter salt/water corrosion under the carpet/sound deadening...check the ground circuits...if you dont have the FSM some library's have free alldata diagram access...most places it's 10cents a page to print out what you want....but free to look at the screen (schaumburg library has this...so i assume others do too)

hope that helps some...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list