3800 should i thrown down?

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
there is this kid with a mazda mx-6 thats been talkin alot of shit about my GTP, how i would get my doors blown off by this thing. and his friend said that the little POS mx-6 ran with his 94 mustang GT auto with an intake. now the mods he supposedly has done are cold air intake and 10" exhaust......the standard ricer equipment. now hers what confuses me, his car is inter-cooled and has titanium pistons, supposedly. i havent looked under the hood. now what i dont get is why he wasted money on those mods when hes not running boost. i know hes not cuz last night he was sitting at the same gas station as me (unfortunatly i was driving a nissan truck) and he was reving the hell outa his little pos, heard no blow off. should i throw some cash down and race him? or should i let him think hes hot shit. the mustang he raced was beat to shit about every mile it was owned, plus its auto. should i attempt to waste this kid? or am i missing something about titanium pistons. do they give u enough of a power gain to make a mx-6 beat a modded GTP?

MY buddy had a 94 prob gt (same car as MX-6). He had every bolt on, headers, intake, cat-back, nos. I raced him when I only had a 3.4 and an open cone, he had all the bolt on's and a 65 shot. From a dead stop he got the jump on me since I spun but I quickly caught up and put just about 2 cars on him by 100.

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
LOL at this entire thread. But yeah, it's turbo from the factory depending on the year. The older ones got a turbo 4 and the newer ones got a V-6. Remember the MX-6 is a Ford Probe. The Probe is just a re-bodied MX-6. If it's auto it may very well not have a blow off valve. Some auto turbo cars don't have them since you never lift to shift. It also may just be the stock one (recirculated back into the intake), which typically make very little noise, especially since while revving at idle you'll only get like 3 or 4 PSI. That being said, going out of your way to race him is a waste of time. Now if you happen accross him at a light- you gotta represent. Titanium pistons.....ROFL

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
LOL at this entire thread. But yeah, it's turbo from the factory depending on the year. The older ones got a turbo 4 and the newer ones got a V-6. Remember the MX-6 is a Ford Probe. The Probe is just a re-bodied MX-6. If it's auto it may very well not have a blow off valve. Some auto turbo cars don't have them since you never lift to shift. It also may just be the stock one (recirculated back into the intake), which typically make very little noise, especially since while revving at idle you'll only get like 3 or 4 PSI. That being said, going out of your way to race him is a waste of time. Now if you happen accross him at a light- you gotta represent. Titanium pistons.....ROFL
[/b]

u would still hear the turbo tho. and it is stick. its kinda pathetic. the kid that said i should race him trashes the GPs alot. if i find out what he really has under the hood ill make a judgment call, and possibly throw some cash down.

I only said that cause I thought I remember reading him saying he raced a Civic for a free bottle of dex cool or something along those lines.
[/b]

it was an accord. i wouldnt have done it either if there wasnt $20 in it for me.

May 24, 2007
u would still hear the turbo tho. and it is stick. its kinda pathetic. the kid that said i should race him trashes the GPs alot. if i find out what he really has under the hood ill make a judgment call, and possibly throw some cash down.

[/b]
Not necessarily.... you can only hear the turbo when your driving and the engine is under load. unless his turbo is aftermarket and running more boost. and even if it were there are 2 factors missing, 1. he would have a BOV and you would hear that but since you said you didnt hear the BOV then its a closed system which would call for a stock, tuned to factory spec., turbo. and 2. you said he was sitting at the gas station reving the motor...well IIRC unless he has a custom tuned ECU that removed the rev. limiter and has a 2-stage programmed into it, the turbo will not build enough boost for you to hear it just by reving the motor. turbos take some time to spool a quick 1 sec. burst of fuel is not going to cut it.

just my .02

thebullfrog

Addict
Sep 12, 2008
Algonquin
Real Name
Jerimiah
Exactly, if he doesnt have an aftermarket blow off valve, and was just sitting still you wouldnt hear it. I had to rec the living piss outta my DSM to get the turbo to spool when sitting still. It didn spool till about 6500 RPM and there wasnt enough boost to really make any noise from the BOV.
Oh and Ricky, you don't need an aftermarket BOV with an aftermarket turbo. The only reason to get an uncirculated BOV is for the sound. Venting actually hurts performance as it dumps air the the MAS has already metered causing the car to run rich for a breif sec. when you hit the gas again. BOV's are a waste of money unless your running so much boost a stock one won't stay closed or leaks under full boost. With a DSM you had to be running over 25 PSI to need an aftermarket BOV.

May 24, 2007
Exactly, if he doesnt have an aftermarket blow off valve, and was just sitting still you wouldnt hear it. I had to rec the living piss outta my DSM to get the turbo to spool when sitting still. It didn spool till about 6500 RPM and there wasnt enough boost to really make any noise from the BOV.
Oh and Ricky, you don't need an aftermarket BOV with an aftermarket turbo. The only reason to get an uncirculated BOV is for the sound. Venting actually hurts performance as it dumps air the the MAS has already metered causing the car to run rich for a breif sec. when you hit the gas again. BOV's are a waste of money unless your running so much boost a stock one won't stay closed or leaks under full boost. With a DSM you had to be running over 25 PSI to need an aftermarket BOV.
[/b]
yeah i know. but some people that get aftermaket turbos they want to hear the sound of the bov so they get another. especially the guys that talk shit like this guy.

bikrboy128

Some say.....
TCG Premium
Jul 15, 2007
Wheaton
hmm well we raced.....and i think the most he had on his car was an intake and exhaust. no turbo, and if he did it was one sad little one.
the light turned green and we launched. we were about even through first gear cuz i didnt have a great launch. but when he had to shift it was all over. i pulled hard and left him in the dust. so im now up $40, and shut 2 little asshats up. he had nothing to say, he didnt even step outa the car to give me the money. he handed me it and sped away. another ricer burned

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info