3800 My last chance to fix this car....

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
Alright - My list of things to do, this is where y'all come in.....

1. Clean puke off my car (The car. Not inside, not in one spot....the car) Long horrible story, but it involved people i don't know doing a drunken drive-by puking

Solution: Brake cleaner and a lot of rags. Might not be perfect, but it's working like a charm

2. Fix Exhaust Leak - My guess is that it's probably illegal to have a 3" dia. pipe dragging from your downpipe along the road. Good news is my mufflers and everything are still in place, albeit the cat-back portion is no longer functioning

Solution: A baseball bat and some tender love and care. Oh, and a 3" clamp. And exhaust sealer. And more baseball bat

3. Find mysterious whistling noise. Gets loud around 1800 rpm??? And ramps up with RPM obviously. It's coming (I think) from one of the pullies up front. When looking at the accessory belt, it's the lowest one on the right, which I feel like an idiot, I dont know what that goes to. I think maybe a bearing is going?

Solution: No F'in clue. Help please?? If i knew what it was, I could help out more.....can anyone just from the description be able to tell me what it is? Looking into the engine bay, its on the left, right under the left cooling fan.

My spring break is going to be spent in my garage.....which is actually F'in awesome

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
if it's on the main accessory belt, at the bottom, in the front, that's the a/c compressor, but in the area is at least one other tensioner pulley

--try flipping the a/c on and off to see if the noise goes away or changes.

on the puke.... why do you not take it to a self serve car wash and hose it down??? cant move it??

MAKE SURE YOU WAX IT AFTER CLEANING IT, ESPECIALLY TRYING TO USE BRAKE CLEANER TO DO IT.

smug

Please go back to eating crayons
TCG Premium
Aug 4, 2007
Cedar Lake, IN
Real Name
Dan Erickson
Alright - My list of things to do, this is where y'all come in.....

1. Clean puke off my car (The car. Not inside, not in one spot....the car) Long horrible story, but it involved people i don't know doing a drunken drive-by puking

Solution: Brake cleaner and a lot of rags. Might not be perfect, but it's working like a charm

2. Fix Exhaust Leak - My guess is that it's probably illegal to have a 3" dia. pipe dragging from your downpipe along the road. Good news is my mufflers and everything are still in place, albeit the cat-back portion is no longer functioning

Solution: A baseball bat and some tender love and care. Oh, and a 3" clamp. And exhaust sealer. And more baseball bat

3. Find mysterious whistling noise. Gets loud around 1800 rpm??? And ramps up with RPM obviously. It's coming (I think) from one of the pullies up front. When looking at the accessory belt, it's the lowest one on the right, which I feel like an idiot, I dont know what that goes to. I think maybe a bearing is going?

Solution: No F'in clue. Help please?? If i knew what it was, I could help out more.....can anyone just from the description be able to tell me what it is? Looking into the engine bay, its on the left, right under the left cooling fan.

My spring break is going to be spent in my garage.....which is actually F'in awesome
[/b]
You used brake cleaner to clean puke off you car? I feel bad for the paint.

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
HAHA

I'm using simple green now on the car. I really don't feel any remorse for the paint whatsoever, the car has more paint chipping off of it than is actually on the car. I tried taking it to a car wash twice, with no luck whatsoever, and I need to SCRUB to get this stuff off. It's sticky and gross and overall a pain in the ass.

I'm waxing it too, and it's covering up the little scratches the brush is causing, but I can't do much for a '98 with 97K miles that's been in three accidents, taken offroad, and been beaten on by a teenager.

As for the AC compressor, I tried doing that, and I didn't hear much of a difference in the whine. And it only happens once the car is good and warmed up, otherwise it's silent

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info