3800 Turn signal switch

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
If you are talking about a Turn Signal switch, then read this... If it is older than a 97, then disregard... I don't think I would want to do the ealier ones.

Here is a quickie on it.

Turn the steering wheel slightly to the left, so the top is going straight up and down. Disconnect battery. Put the steering wheel in the upper most position, then remove the lever that lets you adjust the height of the steering wheel. On the bottom of the cover you will see two star screws, find the approriate star and remove them. Pull the cover down, then release it from the back. You will see how it attaches to the top peice. Next you will locate two screws that hold the top peice on. One on each side. The one on the left is attached to a black peice of platic that extends to the top of the cover. The one on the right will be up just past the ignition. I found a socket that would fit them. Remove top peice. Now remove the panel peice that is directly below the steering wheel. There are two screws on each side of the bottom, then pull it up at and angle. There are clips that hold it in place. Now remove the bottom piece that looks like carpet. There are two plastic clips holding it in place. Let it hang down. If you follow the wiring that comes from the turn signal, you will see it end at a black box. There is a screw where all the wiring goes in, remove that and pull the two peices apart. Then remove two plactic pieces that the wiring goes into from the piece you just pulled. Now you will need to clip a couple ties that hold the wiring together. If you go up the steering column, you will see a plastic piece that holds the wiring to the column, release the piece that holds the wiring. Now back up to the turn signal. If you look staight toward the piece the turn signal is attached to, you will see two screws holding it in place. Remove them and pull it out. Then reverse for installation.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Good luck,
Randy

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
the first gen W's are know for this, we need to replace the one in the 94 442 too...we'll be taking the switch from Al's old junk 98 lumina (the 1.5 gen as it were)

i have had success with just removing and cleaning the switch and rebending the contacts but i am a cheap fuck

it's really not that hard to replace takes a bit the first time...i can do em with my eye's closed i've done so many of em...

you have me worried though...neither turn signal works? with the switch most of the time it's just one side, or works when you jiggle (another technical term lol) the stalk, if neither side works start with your flasher unit it's alot cheaper and affects both sides check for KOEO +12v at one lead if it's there then just jumper to the other terminal and actuate the stalk if they light up but dont flash replace the flasher.

UWISHU1

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2004
Hanover Park
the first gen W's are know for this, we need to replace the one in the 94 442 too...we'll be taking the switch from Al's old junk 98 lumina (the 1.5 gen as it were)

i have had success with just removing and cleaning the switch and rebending the contacts but i am a cheap fuck

it's really not that hard to replace takes a bit the first time...i can do em with my eye's closed i've done so many of em...

you have me worried though...neither turn signal works? with the switch most of the time it's just one side, or works when you jiggle (another technical term lol) the stalk, if neither side works start with your flasher unit it's alot cheaper and affects both sides check for KOEO +12v at one lead if it's there then just jumper to the other terminal and actuate the stalk if they light up but dont flash replace the flasher.
[/b]

James PM sent

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• UWISHU1
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list