3800 Cam questions

1BADGTP

Addict
Nov 6, 2007
Homer Glen
Alright its been about 2 months now since I got the car and i really need to do something big. I am going to get a cam, but not sure what one. I am looking at the stage 3. What do you guys think I should get with it? Such as springs, retainers, timing chain, lifters, and pushrods. Also I will be getting heads for it in the fall you think I will be ok. I know I will not get everything I can out of the cam.

I should also say that Headers and Intercooler will be going on at the same time along with a 2.8 and injectors.

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks ,
Bob

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
you cant just decide what cam you want by what sounds good....

what are you goals with the car? 13s? 12s? 11s?

all three of those times can be had with an xp cam. as well as a stage 4. it all depends on your supporting mods, tuning, setup, and dont forget tuning.

you can run an xp cam with stock heads, stock chain and 105 springs. you can also run a vs cam on stock springs, depending on mileage ect...

if you are going to be getting heads that will allow more clearance, wait to do the cam, and go with something like an xpz. if you are just going to clean the heads up, no machine work, then iicr the biggest you can use is the xp, with mod'd retainers.

do your homework so you only have to do things once, and save money. same thing goes for the intercooler. dont settle for a ssic cuz its cheaper, you WILL want to upgrade soon after.

1BADGTP

Addict
Nov 6, 2007
Homer Glen
Yes I know Not to get a cam by what sounds good
If I was going for sounds then why would I not get the stage 4? or a custom? No I want to be in the 11's with it the 12's or nothing now a days.

Yes I know Not to get the SSIC.
I am not going cheap thats for sure its not my way. If i was going to do that I would by a Honda
I am trying to find out what the difference between the xp cam and a stage 3 is? And thing like that.

I am not waiting for the cam I am getting everything at one time. So i only have to take stuff off 1 time to save money and time. I know from my last gp.

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Yes I know Not to get a cam by what sounds good
If I was going for sounds then why would I not get the stage 4? or a custom? No I want to be in the 11's with it the 12's or nothing now a days.

Yes I know Not to get the SSIC.
I am not going cheap thats for sure its not my way. If i was going to do that I would by a Honda
I am trying to find out what the difference between the xp cam and a stage 3 is? And thing like that.

I am not waiting for the cam I am getting everything at one time. So i only have to take stuff off 1 time to save money and time. I know from my last gp.
[/b]

sorry, by sound, i meant like what sounds good in advertisments and on paper and such. lol not lope sounds. i dont think the xp and s3 compare. but i do not have much info on the intense cam.

in your original post, it sounded like you wanted to do the cam, then later in the fall do the heads, thats why i suggested waiting to do it all at once. that is a good plan. i love my xp cam, but i wish i would have gotten heads at the same time, and went with an xpz. if i were you, thats what i would do. good luck

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
Cam choices should really be between the XP/S1X or the XPZ. The Stage 3 can make good numbers with a better power adder (Gen5) but it really doesn't do well on a Gen3. It's got too much exhaust bias, and duration for such a small blower.

The XP will get the car to the 11s fairly easily, and is extremely streetable. The XPZ is slightly less streetable than the XP, but considerable better behaved than the Stage3, and will perform better with a Gen3 M90 than the S3 will. It will also idle slightly better, and yield higher mileage.

If you're going balls out, go with the XPZ, it's a better choice than Intese's S3 cam.

MT

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
So even with a ported gen 3 the s3 will not be good? If not what about the xpz?
[/b]

The XPZ is a balls out cam that was designed for a motor limited by engine and power adder displacement. It's a great cam for a ported Gen3. ZZP's flagship car ran tens with a Gen3 M90 on this cam, many more have run mid-low 11s with it, and I plan to be firmly in the mid-low 11s this year with the XPZ and Gen3 M90.

There have been some decent 11 second cars on the S3 setup, but most, if not all of them, have run Gen5 blowers due to the duration and exhaust bias of that cam.

MT

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info