3800 My car fell off a tow truck

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
So last night I felt like getting one of my GTP's that has been in storage over to my new house. It hasn't run in 2 years so I called AAA and had them send out a tow truck. The tow truck shows up around 9:30pm and its about 15* outside. I stand next to the truck as he hooks up the car and preps it to go up on the flatbed. The whole time he is winching the car up the flatbed the winch is starting and stopping and slipping (my first clue this would be a long night). Finally the dude gets it up all the way up on the flatbed at pretty much the steepest angle the bed will allow. Couple seconds later I hear a rapid whirring sound (like a winch unraveling quickly) and there is my car flying down the flatbed, then hits the pavement, then rolls very quickly for about 15 feet until it is abrubtly stopped by a pole. This crushed my rear bumper in completely (no bumper supports), dented the trunkid and cracked the spoiler. Not to mention the damage to the front bumper front loading and then the rapid unload.

The tow driver then says "f*ck man that sucks", yeah, no shit asshole. He calls up his boss and after talking to him for about 10 minutes the driver walks over to me and hands me a business card and says "here, call my boss when you get a quote and we will cover it", ok cool. They get a new truck out there and load the car up, it is now 11:30 and I want to get the hell home. I walk over to the original driver and tell him that I will need something in writing stating they will cover the damage before the car leaves. He replied "we can't sign anything, just call my boss when you get a quote", to which I said f*ck that I need some sort of guarantee I am going to be paid for the damage. After about 15 minutes of arguing I told the guy that my car is not leaving that spot until I have some sort of signed documentation, to which he refuses and says they will just leave the car there and someone else can tow it. Then I got worried that they were just going to take off so I blocked in both tow trucks with my truck, got out and saying that no one is leaving until the police get here.

About 1:00 now the cops show up and ask me what happened and I explained everything. Then he had a good laugh since he saw my plates expired in 2004. Since it wasn't a moving vehicle accident he filled out an incident report to document what was said and the driver clearly told him that the damage was caused by the pole and that the car fell off the truck. The cop was cool and told me he will do whatever he can to help me since he knows that tow trucks do this shit all the time and don't ever pay.

Now, what is the best way about contacting them and getting the car repaired to my satisfaction? I know this will be a long process of arguing with the tow company, but that doesn't bother me since I haven't driven the car in two years, so what is a few more months.

Pictures will be posted later tonight.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Damn that sucks. A simular thing happend to my friend when he was trying to get his 85 TA Towed to a mechanic. He thought he would be nice and get the car out of his garage. He put the car in neutral and starting pushing (his driveway is on a slight hill) the car started rolling and he couldnt stop it, it smashed into the tow truck. It wasnt really the drivers falt but you would think he would come help if he saw a car rolling.

I would get your lawyer involved. Dont take it to any shop they tell you to take it to because they probably know people who do really cheap hack work. Where is the car located? If you would like my dad to fix it, he can probably come out and take a look and give you a estimate if your near schaumburg. I few members here have taken there cars to my dads shop.

That really sucks, Steve! This is part of the reason i'm never without a camera of one kind or another on me - i realize your car was sitting for ages, but for everyone else who reads this, use this as a lesson! It costs nothing to go to Walgreens or your local Piggly Wiggly and buy a disposable camera to throw it in your glove box and forget about it. You can then get the pics developed at Walgreens and have a CD made for $2.99 that you may load into your computer.

Always keep a disposable camera in your glove box!

You guys remember i had my camera handy when Ricky's car was F'd-up by the flatbed truck at the W-Body Store shindig back in May? ;)

Towing companies in general S U C K!
blahface3lu.gif

/rant

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
I would have called the police first thing it happened and filled out a police report....END OF STORY.

NO need to get in an argument and all that. Dealing with a tow truck driver through a verbal agreement is insane. Might as well say screw me.

I do have disposable camera in my GTP BTW.....been there four about 2 years now after some Illegal immigrant pretty much did a hit and run and then started to deny everything.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info