3800 Career (retirement)

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
What goals does everyone have in life as far as your career is concerned? What would you like your career to be when you retire? Is your career going to allow you to retire early?

Me I work for AT&T which is a HUGE company and plenty room for advancement. As a Technician (non mngmt) im pretty much at the top of my peak since I cant advance much more than im already at. Ive already maxed out the pay scale for any non management job out there. A buddy of mine here in our department recently jumped the union ship and took a management job. Im very happy for him but its got me thinking about myself. I can see my self in few years or maybe sooner making that jump to management. It can sound like a good move but as anyone who is in the IT/Telecom field will tell you it can come back to bite you in the ass. Management jobs come and go like nothing in a huge company like AT&T. One day your managing 25+ Technicians and the next day they ship your work to another state and possibly out the dam country. Then your fucked and have to take whatever they give you or your pretty much out of a job. As a tech in a union its pretty fkn hard to get fired and IBEW is a great union to be a part as where in management they can dump you like nothing. I do plan to retire in the IT/Telecom Field but will it be with AT&T?? Only time will tell. More than likely I will retire at the normal age.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Well, I just turned 23 and started my dream job (Human Resources Generalist) back in November. I will receive my MBA in Human Resource Management this May and I am taking a HR certification exam in a week. If I pass this exam, I will be pretty much set for my career. Being 23 and having a BS, MBA. and PHR (Professional in Human Resources) is not an easy feat by any means. From there, I want to be a HR Manager in 3 - 5 years and in an executive-level HR position in 12 - 15 years. Those are my career goals thus far...

In terms of retirement, I have been contributing money in to my 401(k) since I was 16. Now that my career has begun and I'm making good money, I am putting a lot more into my 401(k) and hoping to retire at 65 - 68.

From there, I would eventually like to open my own business of sorts to keep myself occupied until I die and hopefully it will become a success and I can leave it with my grandchildren.

That's my plan in a nutshell! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• TonzKnock-G
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list