3800 Al (and I) are getting a new toy...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
millermatic210pkg.jpg

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/mi...c_210/index.php

:D

after Xmas we pick it up...800$ has about 1 hour on it (04 model) and comes with a full 120lb bottle to boot!
a friend of a friend got it for his garage, but bought 3 300amp 3 phase welders not long after, and this has sat in the corner since it only has the 15ft gun but we can always get a 25ft in the future

i guess i'll just be using my 135amp matco for thin sheetmetal work or when i dont have access to 220v

i love toys :lolsign:

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Wanna be my new best friend? :)
[/b]

lol you can give us a call anytime... we'll be calling ya at some point for some stuff for the L67 going in the 442... ;)
though it's a good bit heavier than my Hypertherm900 plasma cutter, it is "portable" in a throw-your-back-out kinda way, especially with a 50lb spool of wire in it... :eek:

the nice thing is it can use the same 50ft 60 amp 220v extension cord that the plasma cutter uses

this does mean that i deffinatly should upgrade the 50amp 220 outlet i have to 60...ah fek it...time for an aux panel in my garage...about the time that i finally get the furnace plumbed in would be nice

I

imported_GraFFix

Nice machine...Ive been looking into getting one also..More to practice while I go to school. Although I need one for 110...for now. :) Still waiting on what my Employee cost is...If you ever need any wire/rod let me know. I work for ESAB.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Nice machine...Ive been looking into getting one also..More to practice while I go to school. Although I need one for 110...for now. :) Still waiting on what my Employee cost is...If you ever need any wire/rod let me know. I work for ESAB.
[/b]
Personally, I need something to fabricate a sheetmetal (aluminum) intake with. My little MIG can do it, but not very well. From what I understand, I need something that's at least 200 amps.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
[/b]

Wanna be my new best friend? :)

lol find out how much you can get a alum spool gun for...

seriously...what can you get a 10 or 25lb spool of stainless wire and a 50lb spool of mild wire for... i usually go through HTP America in algonquin/arl heights area..but if you can beat em... (they love me)..i soooo want an inverTIG 201....then my collection will be complete! har,har,har :D

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Personally, I need something to fabricate a sheetmetal (aluminum) intake with. My little MIG can do it, but not very well. From what I understand, I need something that's at least 200 amps.
[/b]
my 135 amp mini mig can do it...works much better if you preheat the alum with a propane torch till it gets up to 150-200* then stainless wire-brush it... whats your lowest ipm setting? right alloy wire? are you using 96%argon/4%helium? (you cant use the 75/25 mix...) if you need you can borrow my alloy gas tank...

the miller supposedly has the liner but i want a spool gun eventually (if i dont get an InverTIG 201 before then) but i can use my buddy's tig welder out in rockford till then...

i have to weld together two L36 LIM's for the talldeck SI/SII hybrid...then i can finally start on the custom UIM...which might be made out of steel if Al really wants to do the twin M90 route :blink:

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I've done aluminum on my MIG before, but I don't think it will handle 1/4". The spool gun is really the way to go. I had all sorts of trouble with the correct liner and rollers. I did have a mild steel tip, and from what I understand, the wire will expand and birdsnest (like it did on me) if there isn't enough room for the wire to expand. I really need to get a TIG, but for the price of a light duty TIG, I can get a killer MIG that will do 99% of what I need to do.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
I've done aluminum on my MIG before, but I don't think it will handle 1/4". [/b]
like i said...preheating is the key...i've done 5/16ths alloy on mine with preheating

The spool gun is really the way to go. I had all sorts of trouble with the correct liner and rollers. [/b]
no kiddin! i had a buddy a few years back that took the drive rollers and motor from a junk welder and used some RC car parts to make his own spool gun...it was kinda heavy though with the spool (like 15- max 20 lbs) but it worked great...this is what i may do when we get the miller, is redneck a spool gun up... B)

I did have a mild steel tip, and from what I understand, the wire will expand and birdsnest (like it did on me) if there isn't enough room for the wire to expand. [/b]
iu have .030 wire and use a .040 tip and i spray it with antispatter before i run the wire through it...works great...dont forget that you can turn up your gas flow rate for better wire cooling...

I really need to get a TIG, but for the price of a light duty TIG, I can get a killer MIG that will do 99% of what I need to do.
[/b]
i hear ya on that, the light duty (<200amp) TIG's dont even do alloy's for the most part and even some of the 200+ amp units dont have adj frequency (square or sine pattern) but i've welded with a inverTIG (HTP) and lincoln tig welders and they work great...it's just the thin alum thats a bitch...
i've also welded with a spool gun on two different Miller's (200amp and 400amp) and it turns out just fine...not as purdy as tig but good nonetheless... but it's not that great on anything thinner than 1/8th inch sheet...too easy to burn through, especially on tight inside corners where you cant see the puddle and arc

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info