3800 stupid valve cover question...

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
<div class='quotemain'>
out of all the cars ive worked on, ive never had the rear valve cover off an l67...on gm SI, it says you have to removed the drive belt tensioner, i know what is involved, but is it really necessary? :ph34r:
[/b]

haha ask ron v. that one.
[/b][/quote]

i've never had to remove it...i just remove the two upper bolts and loosen the lower bolt (of the PS bracket) and just lay it over out of the way...you will have to remove 1 or 2 metal braces that go to the head/intake area but that should be it...btw on the engine lift bracket i just use a prybar through the chain hole and bend it back to give a bit more room...

make sure you use a razor blade to scrape off the coked on oil on the gasket surface or your new gaskets will leak...

this is the 90 LN3 Vin C 3800 in the rear of the 442, the bracket with the tensioner (was) what the PS pump mounted to, you can see the lift bracket that you can just bend out of the way
121_2138.jpg

hope that helps...btw i love tall deck block 3800's :lolsign:

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
out of all the cars ive worked on, ive never had the rear valve cover off an l67...on gm SI, it says you have to removed the drive belt tensioner, i know what is involved, but is it really necessary? :ph34r:
[/b]

What year is the car?

97-98 cars can be done without moving the alt or tensioner....99+, alt needs removed, and the tensioner needs to be moved like suggested or removed completely.

MT

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

What year is the car?

97-98 cars can be done without moving the alt or tensioner....99+, alt needs removed, and the tensioner needs to be moved like suggested or removed completely.

MT
[/b][/quote]

yah its a 2000. i was hoping to do this without looking coolant...oh well.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• P
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list