3800 Decent video card??

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
So my family has a Compaq Presario 7000T (7rpme2) and its fairly outdated. These are the specs:

-1.7Ghz Pentium 4 w/400 MHz Front Side Bus
-256mb EEC RDRam RIMM (Rambus)
-64DDR nVidia GeForce3 w/TV-Out
-80GB-7200rpm harddrive (replaced the 60GB HDD that started to fail)
-16X DVD-ROM drive
-48/16/48x CD-R/RW drive (replaced the 12X CD-RW drive)

It runs Windows XP, and has the bare necessities, program wise, on it. It will mainly be used for surfing the web, papers, and the occasional video played by my younger brother.

What video card is the best performance per dollar? I'm looking for something that would work well, but nothing extreme.. the computer wont be used to play any real intense games.. aka requiring DX10.

Also I want to upgrade the ram. 256mb was OK for Windows ME (Microsofts Excriment) but XP just does NOT like it. Some sources say 1GB is max while another (more realiable source) says it can handle 1.5GB. I have to install it in pairs so I'm going to be looking for 2x512 sticks. Where is the best place to go for RAMBUS ram? I'm looking for a good deal for a good brand?

Thanks
-Nick

I

imported_Xerxeis

Some sources say 1GB is max while another (more realiable source) says it can handle 1.5GB.[/b]

ummm....Go slap those sources...I've been running 2 gigs since the day i got my computer and XP runs like a charm...so does vista...Your motherboard will have the max ram factor on it, i believe it's based in the BIOS, I tried taking our old old computer's ram up to 128, but the motherboard maxed out at 96 for some stupid reason.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Some sources say 1GB is max while another (more realiable source) says it can handle 1.5GB.[/b]

ummm....Go slap those sources...I've been running 2 gigs since the day i got my computer and XP runs like a charm...so does vista...Your motherboard will have the max ram factor on it, i believe it's based in the BIOS, I tried taking our old old computer's ram up to 128, but the motherboard maxed out at 96 for some stupid reason.
[/b]

Ah I guess I should have worded that better, I was referencing to the motherboard, not XP. My bad.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Im sorry you were one of the unlucky people to buy a computer with RDRAM. Since that type of ram was only out for maybe a year before DDR came out prices are really high for this type of ram.

If your gonna be running Windows XP I recomend a minium 512mb ram. Newegg has a stick of 512 for $209 :eek: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16820147302

If your only going to go on the internet and watching movies why do you need a better video card?

With PCI express AGP video cards are disapearing slowly but you can still find many of them. I would recomend a 6600GT its under $100, and is a great mid range AGP card.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814130059

I think your money would be better spent put towards a new computer.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info