3800 Where is the pick up tube in the pan??

• Thread starter imported_PaceCarBoozer
  • Start date
I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

OK, so I put my motor mounts in and dented one side of bottom of the oil pan. I know it was a dumb mistake and I know better than this, but what has happened, has happened, so if your not posting to try to help, then don't bother posting. I'm concerned about the pick up tube getting covered, and kinda hope it is on the backside of the pan (drivers side). Anyways, the car hasn't been fired up cause I don't want it starved of oil if the tube is covered. I need a 100% positive answer
TIA
CJ

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
i think i can help you....

the center of the round oil pickup is just an inch towards the rear of the car from the crankshaft centerline (pickture laying on your back under the car)
and is damn near inline with the two knock sensors if you drew a line from one to the other (acrost the block skirt) but just a bit ofset to the rear of the block

a couple pics (This is my Tall Deck SI/SII top end Hybrid, but for the most part...the blocks are identical in terms of oiling system, which really hasent changed much from the original 225 and GN buick 3.8's, in terms of the pickup tube location in the skirt of the block)

IMG_3818.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

here is one of the L36's and the TIG rod is pointing out where the pickup bolts to the blockjust in front of the KS and just behind (towards flywheel) the NUM 2 main cap, the tube angles out to the pan bottom toards the flywheel of the engine and towards the bank 1 skirt/pan rail

/

layoutofsuctionpassages2.jpg

pickup to pan clearance
on my SI i have 3/8ths of an inch with the gasket in place and on my two SII 3800's in the garage seem to be~ 5/16ths to 3/8ths off the bottom with oil pan gasket

your SII has the coolant jacket plugs as the location of the knock sensor, on the SI there is only 1 in it's own boss at the front, the horizontal plug is the water jacket drain on the SI, and are drilled 90* off of the SII (one of the few differences between SI/EV6 vs SII)

hope tha helps some...i gotta work on the 442 later today after i finish some 1 inch plate steel brackets up in palatine...i can take a new pic thats more of a "worm's eye view" :D later in the day...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list