3800 Cam which needs the least tunning/messing

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Been thinking about giving my engine a little more life now that I got back my oil sample report from blackstone labs.....all turned out great for 117k mile engine.

I was toying w the idea of adding a cam with new timing chain, springs, etc......

Anyway, what is the least picky cam as far as tunning and always needing to adjust things.

I just dont want to be constantly tuning and all that crap that I use to do...to busy these days..

Thinking VS cam...

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
vs will require the least tuning...you will need to tune the trims once, and it seems to stay pretty close. a friend of mine has it, and it seems to be keeping in tune from where i left it. if you are going to get heavier springs, you may want to just go to the xp..i dont have to mess with the tune very often at all. if i did, i could just use an afc, i dont, but i could.

i honestly think once you feel the vs, you will wish you had the xp. but the answer to your questions will be the VS for sure.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS@Oct 25 2006, 05:40 PM
But again, he wants to be able to tune it, and not really have to worry about it. If its tuned for safety and not balls to the wall and left as is for a while without scanning or adjusting everyday, a VS will be perfect.
[snapback]143721[/snapback]​
if your not tuning a VS for max power why wouldnt you put in rockers for the ease and just about the same gains to a point
VS 's are supposed to get you 20-25hp, that is after a good tune, so a less dialed in tunemight net you what 15-20hp......is that not the gain from a set of 1.9s almost exactly.....

i still chuckle at thethought of a perfect never changing tune,are cars are not that nice to us. :lolsign:

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by SINr247+Oct 25 2006, 06:47 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SaturdaysGS
@Oct 25 2006, 05:40 PM
But again, he wants to be able to tune it, and not really have to worry about it. If its tuned for safety and not balls to the wall and left as is for a while without scanning or adjusting everyday, a VS will be perfect.
[snapback]143721[/snapback]​
if your not tuning a VS for max power why wouldnt you put in rockers for the ease and just about the same gains to a point
VS 's are supposed to get you 20-25hp, that is after a good tune, so a less dialed in tunemight net you what 15-20hp......is that not the gain from a set of 1.9s almost exactly.....

i still chuckle at thethought of a perfect never changing tune,are cars are not that nice to us. :lolsign:
[snapback]143728[/snapback]​
[/b]

Ok, yes you can get that much hp from a good tune, BUT like I said though, a balls to the wall tune to me means like extra timing, or on the absolute brink of KR with as small as he can go pulley, which is not safe for not wanting to scan day to day; any GOOD tune would be safe for a while. I never said that there was a perfect tune either, I just said it would last him a while where he wouldnt be checking it or having to tweak it everyday, or everyweek.

Trust me, I know our cars aren't that nice to us.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
the tune shoudn't actually "drift" once you have it dialed in but larger cams like a xp/xpz require a VE which is an absolute PITA to do and it takes three/five weeks to hit every single area on the VE map. when people bitch about their tuens drifting it's usually because they tried tuning by IFR which will cause the tune to drift back to where it was over time because the computer eventually fiugres out the pulse width is wrong but don't qoute me on this because it doesn't happen to every car but if you do infact do a VE and MAF tune after the VE tune the tune shouldn't drift unless you tune it all in when it's negative -30C then expect it to be dead on when it's 90C.
with a larger cam you'll never get idle tuned and your trims will always drift back and forth which can cause it to idle a little weird at times.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by Fish@Oct 28 2006, 12:48 AM
I hear stock is easy to tune. :p
[snapback]143973[/snapback]​
th_ronaldgetsshow.gif

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by xierxior+Oct 30 2006, 07:22 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@Oct 28 2006, 12:48 AM
I hear stock is easy to tune. :p
[snapback]143973[/snapback]​
th_ronaldgetsshow.gif

[snapback]144138[/snapback]​
[/b]

HAHAHA!! LOL. Nice. I saw one where the king was in American History X curb stomping the hamburgler.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info