3800 exhaust work

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Hey fellas...

Something's up with the exhaust on my gtp. (complete welded 3" from manifold back) Under accelleration, i was getting some ticking, and it has increased some, and the exhaust is gettin louder. I looked down at the d/p from the motor, and it at least LOOKS like the bolts are tight/gasket in place, but it's also rattling around on bumps etc.

I need to get this looked at, but dont want to have to take it from shop to shop, finding someone that will work on the custom stuff, and weld if neccessary (maybe flange is not welded well anymore??

someone, anyone, here have any reccomendations close to bolingbrook area, outside of driving all up to james dean?

thanks for the help guys!

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Fish@Oct 23 2006, 12:37 AM
Have you done any exhaust work recently?? If so maybe check the bolts to make sure they are secure.

That definatly sounds like an exhaust leak. And if its fairly loud from inside the car, it may be from either a flex, manifold, or EGR.
[snapback]143332[/snapback]​

havent done any exhaust work lately... but one of the top motor mounts was loose, so motor moving more than should have been. looks arent everything, but from up top, the flange bolts look tight. It's not overly-loud compared to what it is normally ( dual magnaflows ) and still a good ammount of the exhaust noise is from the mufflers.

there isnt any flex sections in the exhaust setup.

just am hoping to find someone that can help out with this, or give a good local reccomendation to get this thing figured out. I can do a fair share of things with the car, but exhaust really isnt my thing at all, ya know?

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by Toasty+Oct 23 2006, 09:35 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Fish
@Oct 23 2006, 12:37 AM
Have you done any exhaust work recently?? If so maybe check the bolts to make sure they are secure.

That definatly sounds like an exhaust leak. And if its fairly loud from inside the car, it may be from either a flex, manifold, or EGR.
[snapback]143332[/snapback]​

havent done any exhaust work lately... but one of the top motor mounts was loose, so motor moving more than should have been. looks arent everything, but from up top, the flange bolts look tight. It's not overly-loud compared to what it is normally ( dual magnaflows ) and still a good ammount of the exhaust noise is from the mufflers.

there isnt any flex sections in the exhaust setup.

just am hoping to find someone that can help out with this, or give a good local reccomendation to get this thing figured out. I can do a fair share of things with the car, but exhaust really isnt my thing at all, ya know?
[snapback]143343[/snapback]​
[/b]

I tried to look a little closer at the downpipe connection from topside of motor, but am a little confused.

is anyone familiar with how james dean fabs 3 inch d/p's for the grand prix's? It looks like the stock d/p flange is there, then some sort of coupler/bushing thing to go to 3 inch? does that sound about right? it is hard to see from up top but it looks like maybe the coupler thingie came undone/unwelded etc... ?

??

Originally posted by Toasty@Oct 23 2006, 05:28 PM
I tried to look a little closer at the downpipe connection from topside of motor, but am a little confused.

is anyone familiar with how james dean fabs 3 inch d/p's for the grand prix's? It looks like the stock d/p flange is there, then some sort of coupler/bushing thing to go to 3 inch? does that sound about right? it is hard to see from up top but it looks like maybe the coupler thingie came undone/unwelded etc... ?

??
[snapback]143408[/snapback]​

Take it back to JD

Your observation is correct. It's probably a bad weld causing your excessive noise.
This would be a good opportunity for you to put a mandrel bent DP in place of the JD quasi-kinda-wanna-be-downpipe.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by preussenGTP+Oct 24 2006, 01:05 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Toasty
@Oct 24 2006, 02:04 AM

eh, this dp would be fine if it werent friggen broke
[snapback]143478[/snapback]​

dude - call JD and just explain that you've got a leaky downpipe...He's a resonable person (that almost sounds perverse!)
[snapback]143514[/snapback]​
[/b]

i might just get a different d/p that doesnt have the coupler-bushing thing... that seems weak point.

might have to hit up wbody store for one of theirs

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Toasty
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list