3800 timing

M@

Somebody buy this thing
Nov 26, 2007
No attack, I can read this one! :)

Those numbers seem fairly normal if we're talking a GT/SE. You always want knock retard (the amount the engine retards spark due to predetonation) to be zero, so that reading is good.
Timing itself needs to be as high (in your case, as negative) as possible without getting knock. For a stock or mostly stock car, those numbers are pretty much spot on.

More timing would make more power, but only until you start knocking.

As far as negative numbers, that's technically MORE correct. Timing is typically measured in degrees BTDC (before top dead center) so -22* would be 22 degrees BTDC. Oh well, that's just sign convention....I highly doubt an engine would even RUN with 22-27* AFTER TDC.

Long story short, those numbers, at least from the data given, seem perfectly normal.

MT

Dayne

Jun 20, 2008
Originally posted by FastGS88@Sep 13 2006, 08:59 PM
No attack, I can read this one! :)

Those numbers seem fairly normal if we're talking a GT/SE.  You always want knock retard (the amount the engine retards spark due to predetonation) to be zero, so that reading is good.
Timing itself needs to be as high (in your case, as negative) as possible without getting knock.  For a stock or mostly stock car, those numbers are pretty much spot on.

More timing would make more power, but only until you start knocking.

As far as negative numbers, that's technically MORE correct.  Timing is typically measured in degrees BTDC (before top dead center) so -22* would be 22 degrees BTDC.  Oh well, that's just sign convention....I highly doubt an engine would even RUN with 22-27* AFTER TDC.

Long story short, those numbers, at least from the data given, seem perfectly normal.
my car is a 98 gtp if that helps
MT
[snapback]139202[/snapback]​

Dayne

Jun 20, 2008
well again my car is a 98 gtp well this might be a problem or not the motor in the car is a 97 buick regal supercharge. they say that does not matter it the same but i didnt have is problem intill they put the new motor in and the computer is programed for a 98 and not a 97 i have no clue if that matters or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info