3800 What to get..

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Alright so my Dad is in the market for a used car.. well, a used vehicle rather. He has me looking up some cars that he's interested in, and I'm really interested in others opinions / ideas on what would good to check out, strongly consider, etc..

He will be using the vehicle for long highway drives (for my sisters hockey games all over the state), but alot more in city (and downtown). He needs ample trunk space for a hockey bag, maybe a couple over night bags, and a hockey stick or two. Of course all this fits in the trunk of the GS no problem when I have to take her, and definately in our Grd. Caravan ES, but it also must in this vehicle.

He's looking at used vehicles, 4 doors, under 20k, and preferably less than 40k miles.. To get an idea of his vehicle range, here are 5 cars he told me to research:

-Chrysler Pacifica
-Ford 500
-Mercury Montego
-Pontiac Torrent
-Pontiac Vibe

FWIW I was considering throwing in a Magnum R/T, but it seems as if they cant be found in his "range" unless they have high miles, or are SXT / Base models, hes prefering top model / practically optioned out.

Thanks.
-Nick

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by REDHOTT04GTP@Aug 31 2006, 12:52 AM
buy my GTP 17K
[snapback]137078[/snapback]​

Well.. I would, for myself.. but im not in the market, for an 04, yet. Otherwise, he's looking for something not modded.. and something that either has a little bit of factory warranty left, or he can get an aftermarket warranty for. As it has saved our ass plenty of times, as well as paid for itself on the Grd. Caravan (trans rebuild AGAIN after factory warranty expired / heater core line ruptured) and Regal (trans / hubs / window regulator).

Edited: I know some people dont believe in the aftermarket warranties, but considering our luck with cars, he strongly believes in them, and they paid for themselves and more on both vehicles.

Oh yeah, we know its also a matter of comfort / opinion / etc. but we are just gathering ideas, opinions, and any info anyone would like to add.

Hes not a big guy about 5'9 180, so fit shouldnt be a problem, unless its a Toyota Yaris.

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
I can get you the Ford 500 no problem in that range. No Mercurys close to Chicago at this time. I would stay away from the Vibe not that much room.
Hard to get a maxima with those miles and price stated. I see a 05 Mercury Sable, 10k miles for $14,599

chipmonk212121

TCG Elite Member
May 28, 2007
He wants gas mileage and is driving in the city. no SUVs or stick shifts lol.

Impala FTW GREAT car and comfortable ride
Also Maxima or Camry FTW as well if you can find em at a cheap enough price.

Lincoln LS at nice cars and pretty reasonable too

and as always the Grand Prix is always a great choice. I loved my 04 ( minus the power)

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
500's arent all that impressive. the maxima/camry are OK, but watch out for legroom in front with console.... the couple i have driven, my right foot always was hitting the console.. too crowded.

the regal not get good enough gas mileage for him?
regal should be good for 20 city(city/expwy) and 28-29 highway)

strangely enough the lesabre/park ave get better highway mileage, could be up @ 30-32 or better.

this is a dangerous question, as I am a gm guy all around i guess...

the 06 impy's are nice, tho dont know what youre gonna get for price in those.

the pacifica wont get good mileage really, no worse than an equinox.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by Toasty@Sep 1 2006, 12:08 AM
500's arent all that impressive. the maxima/camry are OK, but watch out for legroom in front with console.... the couple i have driven, my right foot always was hitting the console.. too crowded.

strangely enough the lesabre/park ave get better highway mileage, could be up @ 30-32 or better.

[snapback]137216[/snapback]​

The Regal gets good gas mileage for needing a TUNE as badly as it does.. on the highway, I can get about 28mpg at 70. But one, its not his, and two, if it was, its still over the hill and tired.. So, I will be replacing it with another W-body before winter I hope, but back to him.

Hes now decided to cheapen up and go for something in the 12k range (wants a low monthly payment, and to pay it off quick) mileage bumped up to around 60k.. any ideas? Given the prior criteria. He doesnt want a Taurus / Sable.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by SaturdaysGS+Sep 1 2006, 12:28 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Toasty
@Sep 1 2006, 12:08 AM

[snapback]137216[/snapback]​

The Regal gets good gas mileage for needing a TUNE as badly as it does.. on the highway, I can get about 28mpg at 70. But one, its not his, and two, if it was, its still over the hill and tired.. So, I will be replacing it with another W-body before winter I hope, but back to him.

Hes now decided to cheapen up and go for something in the 12k range (wants a low monthly payment, and to pay it off quick) mileage bumped up to around 60k.. any ideas? Given the prior criteria. He doesnt want a Taurus / Sable.
[snapback]137222[/snapback]​
[/b]

would he be opposed to a stock in good shape W-body of his own? Shoot, even an intriugue would qualify...

stock 3.8 motor cars will last well into 200k if maintained properly, so longevity is something to consider as well.

heh... i wouldnt give a taurus/sable to my worst enemy!

Aircal

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Nov 10, 2008
Countryside
Real Name
Tom callahan
Was talking to someone the other day that had the first year CTS and something about the rear plate bracket holds water everytime it rains or gets washed. But first years of everything always seems to suck.

Your dad can get a 03 Impala in his price range with good miles too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info