3800 So I had a Great Day, Today

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
So, when I woke up today I had no idea that it was going to be a sweet as it was. Two friends and I had come up to crete, IL to do the Chevy Rev It Up Racing that I posted about a couple weeks ago. The basic idea is that you get lessons on performance driving techniques. They advertised that you can ride along in a Z06, you can test drive all the SS models and you run two timed laps in the 2.4L Cobalt SS. All the timed laps are given scores and the top runners get prizes. Grand prize is a Cobalt SS Supercharged. This being my first time ever doing timed road racing, I obviously didnt win the top. However, from the looks of it I did do pretty well for my first time. So thats all we were expecting, then we would drive home. Now what actually happened?

We spent the night over at a friends brothers house on friday so we could get to the event earlier. I decided that a good bed time snack would be 3/4 of a large pizza hut pizza, an order of hot wings, and 3/4 of an order of cinnistix. Yea...you might see whats coming. The next morning as we start driving to the event....it hit me...it hit hard. So we pull over at a wendys to use the restroom. What happened to be at the wendys? It seems that a bunch of guys were having a corvette show, there were probably 40-50 corvettes there of all years. So the day is starting off not too bad. Then we get to the event and run through two 20 minute tech classes. Pretty interested information that I hadnt thought about too much. Definitely helped with my timed courses. Then we head to one of the 3 dynamic courses that you sign up for. The first one we got to jump in a Impala SS with the 5.3L DOD engine. For the test you floor it for 100 ft or so and then take it through two sharp turns and gun it again, followed by an increasing sharp u-turn, and finally floor it through a finish line. The test only last 15-20 seconds, but remember you are tearing the crap out of someone elses car. Those big sedans can take a beating and keep going. If I was older and looking for a family car that would be on the list. I really liked it. The next test you get into a 2.4L Cobalt SS and run around a timed practice course to get a feel for the car. This test lasted about 20 seconds and had probably 8 turns or so in it. Those little cars are really not that bad on the turns. The last test you go to you drive a brand new corvetter c6. Again you line up, floor it off the start for about 50 ft until you hit a 3 point slalom, gun it out of it and hit an increasingly sharper u-turn and then floor it through the finish. Again about 15-20 seconds.... but amazing. There really is no feeling like flying around a road course with someone elses 400 hp car. Want to do the corvette again? You can....up to 6 times if you want. Didnt have enough after that? You can walk over to the Chevy Drive Center to take the corvette for a test drive. I know...sarcastic yay for the test drive...boring...oh wait....I forgot to mention that nobody rides with you, that they line you up and tell you to floor the car down a straight away, then stomp on the brake to test to ABS, then drive through some turns, then run through a 4 point slalom, before you return the car to them. You can then jump back in line as much as you want. You can do the same with not just the corvette but the Cobalt 2.4L SS, Cobalt SS Supercharged, Impala SS, Monte SS, Malibu SS, and the Trailblazer SS. Then you can head over to the go-carts if thats something you enjoy. You get 5 minutes on small go chart track with a 9hp go cart. Those things moved quick and five minutes goes by really quick. Definitely enjoyable. After you get all those dynamic courses, test drives, and go-cart trips done you can then go for you first timed race with a modded Cobalt 2.4L SS. The suspension is stiffened up to help you around the course. The Pro time on the course was 28 seconds for me, and is updated anytime the track conditions change. The average time seemed to be around 35-40 seconds. I managed a 31, which is far from the best...but it was still very enjoyable. An hour later you get a second try at your timed lap. Your times are then put on the internet and compared to everyone else in your region and in the country. Needless to say, I was very satisfied with the day. So then we drove home, stopped off at a 300+ car auto show in bloomington, ate some TGIF and headed home for the night.

If I were T-Boned on the way home, I would have died a happy man. I will definitely be doing this again next year of there is another one. We were there for 6 hours and still had to rush to finish all that. If you were to go in the future, definitely get there when they open, and you'll probably be smiling until they closed. Here are some pics of the corvette show, the corvettes we raced, and me at the event.

[attachmentid=2892]
[attachmentid=2893]
[attachmentid=2894]
[attachmentid=2895]
[attachmentid=2896]
[attachmentid=2897]
[attachmentid=2898]

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list