3800 what to do when you hit your MAFs ceiling

98 TGP TOY

TCG Elite Member
Feb 9, 2008
Morton, IL
You are not outflowing the MAF, you are outflowing the MAF table in the PCM. The PCM table is only setup to read up to a 11,500 hertz signal. So once you flow enough air with your MAF that the signal goes above 11,500 then the PCM stops adding fuel and tops out.

Usually the AFC is used with modified MAF tables in the PCM. I think what is usually done, is you increase the mass air flow values at the top of the table. Then use the mini afc to scale the signal down. So if you look at the PCM tables the modification would look like this:

Stock
9000 - 300
10000 - 350
11000 - 400

Modified
9000 - 350
10000 - 400
11000 - 450

That way you computer thinks there is 450 grams of air going in when it reads 11,000 hertz. But your MAF is actually putting out a signal of 12,000 hertz, and you use the mini-afc to step the 12,000 down to 11,000. Since your PCM wont understand a signal of 12,000 hertz.

I have never done it, but I think thats how it works, roughly. Could someone confirm thats how you do it?

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
theres a real simple fix to this problem just set pe to enable before you hit the maf celing then you can control your fueling with the pe tables and not worry about the maf.
this isn't the most accurate method but try working with a 255gram/sec maf on a 500hp motor and you'll feel my pain.

gtp toy has it as well you can use a mini-afc to scale the maf down but that's not accurate either.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Unless you're going to change the computer tables (I.E. how high the PCM can recognize a signal) then your only option really is to scale the MAF table down. Ron is a lot better versed on this than I am but I remember running into this same problem on the SHO.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
ODB-1 pcm's are fully cracked and theres several different versions with different tables added so I'm sure it can be done and the problem should actually be easier to fix on the gp pcms because it's a 16bit pcm right? ODB-1 is 8bit and theres some kind of mathmatical limit that prevents you from getting above 255gram/sec.
the pcm seems to rely on the MAF for trans line pressure and you'll really start to notice this is you fluff the MAF numbers like +20 percent the car will barely want to shift.
since other tables rely on the MAF table I don't think it's as simple as just added a few tables but it's definitly not impossible.

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Originally posted by SINr247@Jul 27 2006, 05:45 PM
vendors are still trying to mess with it. no one has nailed it yet. -
[snapback]133402[/snapback]​
People have been running 20+ psi for years (myself included), I think we have it dialed in fairly well. A perfect example is Matt Meekhoff's drag car, 26+ psi on a stock L36 MAF. It is all about how you scale it.

nitrous

Regular
Mar 9, 2008
Racine, WI
You are not outflowing the MAF, you are outflowing the MAF table in the PCM. The PCM table is only setup to read up to a 11,500 hertz signal. So once you flow enough air with your MAF that the signal goes above 11,500 then the PCM stops adding fuel and tops out.

Usually the AFC is used with modified MAF tables in the PCM. I think what is usually done, is you increase the mass air flow values at the top of the table. Then use the mini afc to scale the signal down. So if you look at the PCM tables the modification would look like this:

Stock
9000 - 300
10000 - 350
11000 - 400

Modified
9000 - 350
10000 - 400
11000 - 450

That way you computer thinks there is 450 grams of air going in when it reads 11,000 hertz. But your MAF is actually putting out a signal of 12,000 hertz, and you use the mini-afc to step the 12,000 down to 11,000. Since your PCM wont understand a signal of 12,000 hertz.

I have never done it, but I think thats how it works, roughly. Could someone confirm thats how you do it?

Yes, that is the generic concept of it, Mike. No one should ever need to change their MAF. I am running a 99MAF since it's a little better and doesn't need to be scaled as much as the earlier MAFs.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
I really don't see the big deal about maxing the MAF out anyways if you have a MAP sensor that can read the amount of boost you're running the computer will use your MAP/PE tables to control fuel. you'll have to tune your MAP table for the amount of boost you're running tho which is a little dangerous commanding 14:7.1 while in boost ;)

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The problem is that the stock MAP sensor is only 2 bar so in Bob's case that's going to max out as well which means that he'll have to replace it with a 3 bar unit and then scale that as well. While doing that you may as well simply scale the MAF also.

Additionally, I wouldn't run a car on MAP alone. Too many variables aside from fueling are determined using the MAF. If you're going to run a setup you may as well not cut corners.

And that's my .02... :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info