3800 Service Engine Soon

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
My Service Engine Soon light turned on today. :(

I'm fairly new to this car, but from what I can see, I need a scan tool to get the codes, correct? (Our Dodge has a key-on, key-off sequence that blinks the light.)

Are there cheap scan tools to get the codes and monitor KR? From what I can find, I'm looking at a couple of hundred dollars for a LS1M or similar. Not sure I can afford that now (I just put on a 3" DP on and I need tires!)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
The intercepter is an awsome gauge. But it cannot beat a LS1M or an autotap as far as scanning.

I dont know about the LS1M, but the autotap can show more than 2 paramiters at the same time and record as long as you wish.

For reading the code now, do what sinr said. Goto autozone and have them read the code. The go here if you need a list of codes and what they mean.

b4black

before black
Jun 6, 2008
Oswego
Originally posted by 98 TGP TOY@Jun 7 2006, 01:17 AM
Double check that the gas cap is tight, because that is the most common code thrown. 

That's what it was :rolleyes: The tether for cap was stuck under it. It felt like it was closing right. Took about ½ tank to turn the SES light on, but it went away almost immediately once I closed it properly. Thanks for the help.

If most scan tools are in the $250 range and a preprogramed PCM is another $100 or so, would I just be better getting a programmer like DHP for a few bucks more? Are there anydrawbacks to this route?

(I have a 3.4 pulley waiting to go on, but I want to make sure I'm not knocking first :) )

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info