3800 uhoh cylnder went dead

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
DSC00314.jpg

DSC00316.jpg

you can by the amount of carbon buildup that I was running a little rich.. but that one cylnder doesn't have as much carbon buildup and its the one with low compression.. hmmm

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by xierxior@May 28 2006, 07:13 PM

you can by the amount of carbon buildup that I was running a little rich.. but that one cylnder doesn't have as much carbon buildup and its the one with low compression.. hmmm
[snapback]127785[/snapback]​

Got any pictures of the backside of the gasket? that deffinatly looks steam cleaned, did you do a leakdown test?

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by Turbocharged400sbc+May 29 2006, 02:23 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-xierxior
@May 28 2006, 07:13 PM

Got any pictures of the backside of the gasket? that deffinatly looks steam cleaned, did you do a leakdown test?
[snapback]127805[/snapback]​
[/b]

no, I inspected the head gasket rather well.. it doesn't have any sings of leaking.. what do you mean by steam cleaned? the motor has about 5000 miles or so on it.

no leakdown test I thought a compression test was enough its obveusly not holding pressure at all :) only being 60 something psi

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
Originally posted by xierxior+May 29 2006, 02:45 AM-->
Originally posted by Turbocharged400sbc@May 29 2006, 02:23 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-xierxior

no, I inspected the head gasket rather well.. it doesn't have any sings of leaking.. what do you mean by steam cleaned? the motor has about 5000 miles or so on it.

no leakdown test I thought a compression test was enough its obveusly not holding pressure at all :) only being 60 something psi
[snapback]127808[/snapback]​
[/b]

when i pull an engine apart and one of the pistons and chambers look as clean as that compared to the others i usually find a cracked cylinder head, a cracked block, or a low spot contributing to a coolant leak into the chamber, but if the cooling system never bubbled over, then the next likely possibility on a sbc is that the coolant was leaking from the water port to the intake port (increasingly likely) with it being an end cylinder. what did the intake gaskets look like? with coolant entering the cylinder increased wear on the bore and rings can cause ring seal to go down, when you did a compression test did you shoot a tablespoon or more of oil in the spark plug hole and retest? if compression came right up close in line with the rest you need a ringjob, and the head and valves are more than likely fine.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by Turbocharged400sbc+May 29 2006, 11:52 AM-->
Originally posted by xierxior@May 29 2006, 02:45 AM
Originally posted by Turbocharged400sbc@May 29 2006, 02:23 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-xierxior

[snapback]127808[/snapback]​

when i pull an engine apart and one of the pistons and chambers look as clean as that compared to the others i usually find a cracked cylinder head, a cracked block, or a low spot contributing to a coolant leak into the chamber, but if the cooling system never bubbled over, then the next likely possibility on a sbc is that the coolant was leaking from the water port to the intake port (increasingly likely) with it being an end cylinder. what did the intake gaskets look like? with coolant entering the cylinder increased wear on the bore and rings can cause ring seal to go down, when you did a compression test did you shoot a tablespoon or more of oil in the spark plug hole and retest? if compression came right up close in line with the rest you need a ringjob, and the head and valves are more than likely fine.
[snapback]127822[/snapback]​
[/b]

yes, squirting some oil into the bore brought the compression back up very close to the rest of the cylnders.. I took the intake manifold to a machine shop and they told me it was warped.. that's what must have been allowing the coolent to leak into the cylnder.

lesson learned

a) never buy a used intake manifold from soneone with out having a machine shop check it to make sure its not warped.. I never bought a new intake manifold because the one I use is 800+ new :blink:

do you think I'm going to have to have the block bored or just honed?

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
just have the bore bottlebrush honed and throw new rings in it, it may be a good idea to throw some ID micrometer's in there to check for out of round or tappered walls

oh i know what you mean, bought the victor Jr airgap for my nova from jefferson, well i found that it had been through a nitrous explosion, it was repairable

regards, James

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• X
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list