3800 trans question

My trans in my Riv went out on me this weekend. I am trying to figure out if it is a total failure or what.
While driving on the highway, coming out of a toll booth, the car just did not want to go, i finally got it up to speed and it drove ok at highway speeds.
once i parked it, i discovered that i have no first, second or 3rd gears. If I put the car in reverse, it will not move. if i put the car in park, it acts like it is in overdrive and wants to move (but wont since the parking pawl is engaged). the car wants to move if in neutral as well. It is obviously trying to start in overdrive (since if I put in in 3, it will not move).

does this sound like a totally fried tranny or maybe the valvebodies took a crapola??

REDHOTT04GTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 26, 2008
Romeoville
Originally posted by 12secGTP@Apr 10 2006, 07:24 PM
My trans in my Riv went out on me this weekend. I am trying to figure out if it is a total failure or what.
While driving on the highway, coming out of a toll booth, the car just did not want to go, i finally got it up to speed and it drove ok at highway speeds.
once i parked it, i discovered that i have no first, second or 3rd gears. If I put the car in reverse, it will not move. if i put the car in park, it acts like it is in overdrive and wants to move (but wont since the parking pawl is engaged). the car wants to move if in neutral as well. It is obviously trying to start in overdrive (since if I put in in 3, it will not move).

does this sound like a totally fried tranny or maybe the valvebodies took a crapola??
[snapback]121376[/snapback]​

Same thing happened to my buddie trans in his grand am the had to pull it out the garage and his trans was totally destroyed inside...What color is your tranny fluid???

Originally posted by REDHOTT04GTP@Apr 10 2006, 07:43 PM
Same thing happened to my buddie trans in his grand am the had to pull it out the garage and his trans was totally destroyed inside...What color is your tranny fluid???

It is not a nice bright clean red but it is not black and does not smell or feel burnt. I looks like normal used trans fluid. nothing really out of the ordinary.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list