3800 Knocking sound

Maybe this is just from the butt ass -2 degrees outside, but when I drove my car tonight, I noticed a knocking sound coming from the front end underneath the car.

This only happens if I turn the steering wheel quick to left or to the right.

The car drives straight and handles fine, just the dam knocking noise when turning the wheel quickly.

Im gonna put it on the lift Monday at work but what are the possiblities that could be wrong with it.

BTW: she must know Im planning mods for it so she's getting pissed at me <_<

I

imported_1fastGTP

is it straight knocking? or is there a whine in it as well cuz i kno that mine was the power steering fluid and after i replaced the fluid it got rid of it after a few miles driven... if its not that then im not 2 sure on that...

Originally posted by 1fastGTP@Feb 18 2006, 09:54 AM
is it straight knocking? or is there a whine in it as well cuz i kno that mine was the power steering fluid and after i replaced the fluid it got rid of it after a few miles driven...  if its not that then im not 2 sure on that...
[snapback]115158[/snapback]​

Nope, no whining noise, and I would know if it were the pump, I know the sound and the feel on the steering wheel if it needed fluid or a replacement.

Its pretty much a stragiht knock if I turn the wheel to left or right, will hear it more often at slow speeds, like when Im starting from a stop and turning.

milleniumgt

Regular
Nov 16, 2008
Stand facing you wheel and grab both sides and give it a few tugs to see if there is any kind of play in the wheel. When your tie-rod goes out it your wheel will give a bit of play when tugged. If you do have some play, check the bushing on the tie-rod end and see if it looks a bit smushed (check the other side for a good comparison). That could be your trouble, if there is a grease fitting on it, you could have it greased, if not you would probably have to get a new tie rod end. I can't remember if the OEM rod end had the grease fitting on it or if the replacement one did?? Also when mine when out I noticed a bit of a noise also that resembles clunking/knocking when the steering wheel is turned. You could feel it ever-so-slightly in the floor board when you turned the wheel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info