3800 todays topic

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
I need to get new front brake pads..update-i'm currently running slotted drilled rotors with stock gm pads, they lasted a little over 1 year, these are semi metallic(correct?). I'm looking for something with a little more life to it with the slotted rotors. I know the slots eat the pads, but what would be a harder pad, or is the semi metallic harder then ceramic. In the parts store they told me semi metallic was harder then ceramic (true?)
Im going out of town for a few days next week, and need to do this asap.

edit, btw Ive been over a few websites looking for my answers, and have come up empty

J/O

Blownbyyou

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Mar 27, 2008
I don't run slots, but I really would recomend putting the 12 inch upgrade on the car. I haven't done the 12inch upgrade but i would presume that it would last longer, and stop you faster.

I feel as if slots are a waist of money because pads vent gases on there own

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Feb 9 2006, 12:23 PM
I need to get new front brake pads..update-i'm currently running slotted drilled rotors with stock gm pads, they lasted a little over 1 year, these are semi metallic(correct?). I'm looking for something with a little more life to it with the slotted rotors. I know the slots eat the pads, but what would be a harder pad, or is the semi metallic harder then ceramic. In the parts store they told me semi metallic was harder then ceramic (true?)

edit, btw Ive been over a few websites looking for my answers, and have come up empty

J/O
[snapback]113399[/snapback]​

I run Power Slot rotors. By the way I love them. I have stock SEMI-METALLic pads on the car at this point in time. They last about 20k miles give or take. I also have Hawk Pads that are waiting to be installed. I figured I would use the life of the new stock pads first. I dont think its a good idea to use ceramic pads with drilled / slotted rotors. The brake pads will last longer than the rotors. Do you get what I'm saying? Those rotors are expensive to replace every year.

I suggest you get the Hawk semi-matallic pads. You will notice a difference.

Mike

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

this has already gone around and around, but I have drilled and slotted, and it does help with heat, and I notice better braking with mine. I run the carbon metallic pads from auto zone, they work nice, last long. The ceramics are supposed to be harder and less dust, but your pay for it, I haven't personally tried them, so no input on that
CJ

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
You'll never really notice better braking from slotted or drilled rotors. If better braking is present it's either because you changed pads at the same time or it's a placebo affect. The only advantage to slotted or drilled rotors (other than looks) is heat shedding ability on repeated stops. For one emergency stop it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between slotted/ cross drilled and if you could tell the advantage would go to the plain rotors. After multiple hard stops the cross drilled/ slotted rotors will have a strong upper hand as they can obviously shed the heat better.

Johnny, You might go with a set of Hawk HPS pads. We've had sets last as high as 30 - 40k with slotted rotors. They're quiet, extremely low dusting, and no noise.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
I'd also recommend the Hawk pads, I've heard nothing but good things about them.

I would discourage you from even considering EBC GreenStuff. Worst brake pads I've ever encountered. First, they lasted me MAYBE 12k miles before they started to grind infront from being completely worn, and the back were not far away from being completely worn away. They were always noisy (I applied brake quiet liberally), VERY dusty, and they got the rotors so hot that they suffered from brake fade after 2 repeated high speed stops. Eventually my rotors started to show stress cracks, and they were plain blank rotors.

Due to this, I had the calipers checked incase of any dragging, and they were fine.

S

sr71_rgl

Johnny, You might go with a set of Hawk HPS pads. We've had sets last as high as 30 - 40k with slotted rotors. They're quiet, extremely low dusting, and no noise.

I've been running the HPS pads on the power sluts that came with the car when I bought it 3yrs ago and have no complaints. I really like the fact they don't dust much.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
Originally posted by sr71_rgl@Feb 9 2006, 05:37 PM

I've been running the HPS pads on the power sluts that came with the car when I bought it 3yrs ago and have no complaints. I really like the fact they don't dust much.
[snapback]113479[/snapback]​
this is sweet, and the answer I was looking for. Mike I dont see these on your site, anyone know where to get them and how much they are?

thank you guys, and sat.GS too.... ;) B)

HUNTERDOG

Addict
Jan 26, 2008
I ran the Hawk pads before I did the 12" upgrade and I will admit I wasn't impressed. The pads are very small and I don't think they did a great job of stopping. When I did the upgrade I went with GranSport 6 Pads from TireRack and the quality just seemed to be better, less dust, more meat and they stop damn good! All though I did do the upgrade and I did go with Chryogenically frozen rotors too.

152_5207_r1_1.jpg

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by Mike K@Feb 9 2006, 03:47 PM
You'll never really notice better braking from slotted or drilled rotors.  If better braking is present it's either because you changed pads at the same time or it's a placebo affect.  The only advantage to slotted or drilled rotors (other than looks) is heat shedding ability on repeated stops.  For one emergency stop it would be nearly impossible to tell the difference between slotted/ cross drilled and if you could tell the advantage would go to the plain rotors.  After multiple hard stops the cross drilled/ slotted rotors will have a strong upper hand as they can obviously shed the heat better.

Johnny, You might go with a set of Hawk HPS pads.  We've had sets last as high as 30 - 40k with slotted rotors.  They're quiet, extremely low dusting, and no noise.
[snapback]113470[/snapback]​

:ph34r:

ernrcr3

Regular
Feb 26, 2008
Orland Park
Originally posted by CoolGTX@Feb 9 2006, 12:23 PM

J/O
[snapback]113399[/snapback]​

Jonny, I have a set of these Hawk HPS pads I special ordered from Pepboys a few months back I was gonna swap them on my GT. But the GTP dosent need brakes for awhile now, if you want them PM me & lemme know. ;)

PICS:
http://www.ernrcr3.com/images/HPS%20Pads/

-ern

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info