3800 whipple or cam

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
alright well my goal with the car is mid-low 12's....its a daily driver. 11's after the car is paid for....

i have an appointment to go to zzp for an xp install...from what ive read, i should have no problem running mid-high 12's after the xp...but im going to be spending around a grand for install, cam, injectors, ect....not mention everything else i bought for the install, (install kit, timing chain, sprokets, dampener, valve springs and retainers...) im thinking that if i hang onto the 1k, sell/return all the stuff i bought, and throw a whipple on it...it may be worth it. i could prolly get 300 out of the parts i have now...i dunno

what hp gains will be seen with xp vs the whipple will it be cheaper to just go cam, and supporting mods with cam to run low 12s? i can always add PnP heads, blower, in the future to the cammed car- and get high 11's out of it (this is not including the tranny...a zzp stalled tranny will be next season, if it lasts that long)

so that being said,

do you think i can meet my goals (low-mid 12's) with the xp,

or should i just go for it an get the whipple.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
If you haven't installed the cam yet and you have that $3300 to spend, I would get the turbo get. It's going to outperform your existing car (even with the cam) hands down. The Whipple really requires a cam and headwork. It's not just a bolt on and go type setup like the turbo.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
whipple is nice but aint worth the money that could by the turbo with,
you can always add a turbo cam later. and you cna install a turbo kit and take it off in a weekend, and only cost you the price of the kit, the cam is big install and big uninstall,if you sell it at some point or crash it, you could seel most of your current mods to pay for a good chunk of it, and use your saving for the tranny.

can anyone say low 11's high 10's...havent seen a whipple/cam car do that

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
so for the most part the whipple is going to way outflow the stock heads? i have the 330 to spend, however a turbo kit is 5077 lol...i already looked at that, and if i did it, i would get the i/c, pt-61, ceramic coating and a b/c. i could not live with myself if i didnt get it all right away...because i know i would blow the other money.

what other mods do you think i will need; post-cam, to reach low-mid 12's?

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Bob, The Whipple is essentially the same blower as the Autorotor/ Kenne Bell Blowzilla found on the INTENSE Bonne. It's propelling that boat to mid 10s on a consistent basis. To top that, the new Whipples are more efficient than the Kenne Bell blowers. To date the Whipple has not been installed on anything really worthy of a Whipple. I know that sounds harsh and it's not intended to. It's a large blower; it moves an assload of air and you need an assload of engine to take advantage of it. Take the guy who's maxed out his Gen III/ Gen V M90, cammed, headered, heads, etc and toss a Whipple on THAT car and see what it does. Chopping a full second off the 1/4 mile time of a stock GTP with no other mods is nothing to laugh at.

With that said, you're correct. It's not proven itself as a viable mod and we're setting out to change that this summer. :eek:

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Originally posted by XANAX@Feb 8 2006, 04:47 PM
cam=$$$ little to no tuning
whipple=waste of $$$$
turbo=high maintenance
[snapback]113214[/snapback]​
I don't know where you have been getting your information from, but it is severely flawed. A cam takes a whole lot of tuning, I cant possibly see how a whipple is a waste of money, and a turbo is the furthest from high maintenance as possible.

XANAX

Feb 5, 2008
IL.
Originally posted by BumpinGTP+Feb 8 2006, 07:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-XANAX
@Feb 8 2006, 04:47 PM
whipple=waste of $$$$
turbo=high maintenance
I don't know where you have been getting your information from, but it is severely flawed. A cam takes a whole lot of tuning, I cant possibly see how a whipple is a waste of money, and a turbo is the furthest from high maintenance as possible.
[snapback]113235[/snapback]​
[/b]
vs cam=little to no tuning
whipple=gen 5 output
turbo=have to leave running for 10-20 minutes after driving it. constant scanning. Definately Not plug and play.

xierxior

Addict
Feb 2, 2008
chicago
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Feb 9 2006, 07:24 AM
10-20 mins is exaggerating....with a turbotimer usually 1 mins is sufficient
[snapback]113339[/snapback]​

whipple=gen 5 output
turbo=have to leave running for 10-20 minutes after driving it. constant scanning. Definately Not plug and play.

whipple= gen 5 output? wtf you do know the whipple can push in excess of 36 pounds of boost right? you'd have to spin the gen v to supersonic speeds and ti'd probably melt before that happened.

I've never seen a whipple installed on a grandprix with a motor that could actually utilize the amount of air that thing could move.. I personally think a whipple is overkill for a grandprix unless you want to test fate and try to build the most wicked 3.8L ever built.. solid roller, HUGE ic, 9:5.1 compression about 30 pounds of twin screw goodness.. that would equal lots of broken parts..

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Originally posted by XANAX+Feb 9 2006, 02:53 AM-->
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Feb 8 2006, 07:46 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-XANAX
@Feb 8 2006, 04:47 PM
whipple=waste of $$$$
turbo=high maintenance

[snapback]113235[/snapback]​
whipple=gen 5 output
[snapback]113334[/snapback]​
[/b]
True about the VS, but what about the other 20+ camshafts on the market? They aren't so easy to tune, trust me. WOW, you are so misinformed about the Whipple I'm not even sure how you could have come to that conclusion. You are comparing a 65% efficient roots style blower to a 95% efficient twin screw compressor and trying to say they are equal, bad argument there. A turbo only needs to be run about 20 seconds after driving, not 20 minutes. Once again, you obviously do not know what you are talking about because a stock car with a turbo will actually be more reliable and easier on the motor than a stock M90 car. Now, do you even own any of these three mods? Cam, Whipple or turbo?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info