3800 My GP's is pissing me off, problems...

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Ok so i've never really gotten an answer to this, but i kinda have two problems

Knowing the expertise of this board, i hope i finally get an answer

Problem 1) At idle sometimes my car shakes, pretty violently. But when sitting you can feel it definetly at times, not always a big shake, but you can tell theres a slight mis

Problem 2) I think i've determined that i'm running rich. I think because of my home made cold air intake. I never put the pcm into "learn mode" or w/e when i did this, should i have? I think i have a rich mix because theres a white hazy stuff that comes from the tail pipes, and quickly evaporates, even when its warm out or the cars been warmed up.

Answers and input GREATLY APPRECIATED!

P.s. its my 99 Grand Prix Gt (also going in for rear main seal fix thursday)

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by graphicassult@Feb 3 2006, 09:10 PM
Ok so i've never really gotten an answer to this, but i kinda have two problems

Knowing the expertise of this board, i hope i finally get an answer

Problem 1) At idle sometimes my car shakes, pretty violently. But when sitting you can feel it definetly at times, not always a big shake, but you can tell theres a slight mis

Problem 2) I think i've determined that i'm running rich. I think because of my home made cold air intake. I never put the pcm into "learn mode" or w/e when i did this, should i have? I think i have a rich mix because theres a white hazy stuff that comes from the tail pipes, and quickly evaporates, even when its warm out or the cars been warmed up.

Answers and input GREATLY APPRECIATED!

P.s. its my 99 Grand Prix Gt (also going in for rear main seal fix thursday)
[snapback]112758[/snapback]​

white hazy exhaust??? white smoke/exhaust=coolant/water.... ya better check out the head gaskets and intake manifold gaskets, too...

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Ok so i'm lookin around automotive forums and i'm thinking instead of rear main that it could be intake or head gasket. How much do they run?

I took it into a Ford Dealer and the guy said he couldnt tell if it was rear main or he said he thought he saw something coming from the valve covers. The guy i bought this from said he replaced the rear main at 36000, now i have almost 110,000. So i'm guessin when i take it in, i'll tell them to give it a looks over first.

Just a price estimate would be great

I

imported_Ron Vogel

It's a GT huh?

99% sure it's your UIM. On the L36 motor the coolant for the TB runs through a passage around the EGR port. That EGR port will typically disentegrate over time. It's a very common problem. Advance Auto makes a replacement UIM for about $125 that has been improved to fix this problem. You are getting coolant sucked into your intake there and it will only get worse over time.

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
I actually just did what you are describing. I pulled my wifes l36 out of her regal. Replaced the rear main seal, the heads, oil pan gasket, oil pressure sensor, LIM and UIM. It was idling pretty bad and there was definately a small coolant leak. It is a pretty big project if you have never done it. I was able to pull the engine by myself and put it back in. I am hoping to start it up tomorrow. More than likely your problem is from the UIM like Ron said. I have read that sometimes the LIM will also get damaged, so you may want to pick one of those up too.

Randy

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
Yea, its goin in for the oil leak thursday. I thought at first it was a rear main seal... but looking around at other forums theres been quite a few guys with the valve cover gaskets goin out, and makin them think its a rear main

Thinking about it now it makes more sense, because i see smoke sometimes from the rear of the engine and all

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info