3800 DHP Installation Questions

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Im going to be buying a DHP for my 98 GTP really soon. I will either buy one from the wbodystore or I will buy one from someone local that is selling one on clubgp.

I got a few questions....

Are the DHP PCM's just plug and play? (Unplug my old one, and plug in the new one, and start up the car.)

Are there any risks in installing this product? Can anything go wrong with the install?

I was reading on clubgp about people doing case learns after installing a DHP, is this nessary, and where can I have this done?

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Jan 24 2006, 05:40 AIDS
Im going to be buying a DHP for my 98 GTP really soon. I will either buy one from the wbodystore or I will buy one from someone local that is selling one on clubgp.

I got a few questions....

Are the DHP PCM's just plug and play? (Unplug my old one, and plug in the new one, and start up the car.)

Are there any risks in installing this product? Can anything go wrong with the install?

I was reading on clubgp about people doing case learns after installing a DHP, is this nessary, and where can I have this done?
[snapback]111455[/snapback]​

Make sure you put the 3.4 pulley on. I thought those DHP PCMs are for 3.4" pulley dropped cars

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
You dont necessarily need the 3.4.

ViperMike, anyone with a Powrtuner can do a caselearn for you, or you can have it done at a dealer. DO NOT let them reflash your pcm if you go the dealer route. I dont know if thats still able to happen on the DHP's, but just a warning.

Even if there powertuner is for a diffrent year car? MikeS3, can you help me out with your powertuner, that is if my SES light is set from the new DHP.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Jan 24 2006, 06:25 AIDS

ViperMike, anyone with a Powrtuner can do a caselearn for you, or you can have it done at a dealer. DO NOT let them reflash your pcm if you go the dealer route. I dont know if thats still able to happen on the DHP's, but just a warning.

Even if there powertuner is for a diffrent year car? MikeS3, can you help me out with your powertuner, that is if my SES light is set from the new DHP.
[snapback]111471[/snapback]​

Yes, even if its for a different year car it'll work, get the case learn done whether the light trips or not.

PANDA

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
May 24, 2007
Wisconsin Northwoods
Yes, even if its for a different year car it'll work, get the case learn done whether the light trips or not.

What does this case learn do? It it easy to complete, and how long does it take?
My car will start and run without a case learn after the DHP install right? Sorry about all these nOOb questions, I dont want to do everything correct and I want to learn.

SaturdaysGS

TCG Elite Member
Jul 15, 2007
Chicago (Southside)
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Jan 24 2006, 06:45 AIDS

What does this case learn do? It it easy to complete, and how long does it take?
My car will start and run without a case learn after the DHP install right? Sorry about all these nOOb questions, I dont want to do everything correct and I want to learn.
[snapback]111481[/snapback]​

The caselearn IIRC is for the engine and the crank position sensor, so the sensor can tell the computer EXACTLY where in the revolution the engine is. The car will more then likely will run and start fine, just trip the SES light. The caselearn procedure is easy to do, and quick.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Jan 24 2006, 06:25 AIDS

[snapback]111471[/snapback]​

I'm not quite understanding what you are saying here. Are you asking me if my Power tuner will work on your car? If so., no it will not work. Only for 2001 & 2004 GTPs. I'm not even sure if the scanning option will work. It might though.

dole21

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
South Carolina
Originally posted by vipermike2002@Jan 24 2006, 07:53 AIDS
So is it safe to be driving around with a new PCM, if you havent got a case learn yet?

Or does the case learn do nothing but remove the SES light?
[snapback]111510[/snapback]​

ive been driving 4 years without a case learn with my DHP...and without a ses light for it...

Ive driven it to every state around here, and has seen 20+ trips down the track in that time as well...

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info