3800 Where do you buy your rotors?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by mybluegtp@Jan 13 2006, 09:56 AM
I got mine too from there and had them for about 2 years I think and now the holes where the studs go thru got bigger.  :(
[snapback]110185[/snapback]​
Yes, but don't you run the larger (heavier) rims and tires in the summer, over mostly urban streets? That's a hell of alot more wear and tear over a stock set-up. 17's aren't too bad, but I have done a higher percentage of suspension work for people running 18s than anything else. It seems our hubs, outer tie rod ends, and ball joints wear much quicker with larger wheels and tires.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Jan 13 2006, 12:19 PM
Drilled and slotted is really just for look these days....

Holes will do nothing more then wear the pads out faster.

Stopping distances will not go down.

Baer makes one sweet aluminum hat rotor btw...
[snapback]110201[/snapback]​

Sooooo, Porche, Ferarri, and Lambos have drilled and slotted Baers for no reason then?? I dont think nitpicky italians and germans would put parts on a car that dont serve a function.

I have ran brand new stocks, and drilled/slotted. I felt a difference.

graphicassult

Regular
Jan 10, 2008
There is a reason for the drilled and slotted rotors.

They began as a racing prototype and then of course the bigger itallian cars began using them.

The purpose of the holes is to allow heat and dust to escape from the rotor and the slots do the same. They do disapate heat faster and if you use your car with a lot of heavy braking and worry about brake temps then they're a good buy. Plus they look good.

Definetly race proven by LeMans, Nascar, and Rally Racing

dsk727

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Minneapolis MN
Originally posted by Fish@Jan 13 2006, 09:54 AM
Got mine on ebay. It was around 190 shipped for all 4 rotors. Drilled/slotted. I noticed a difference. They have been on since April with no problems. *knock on wood*
[snapback]110183[/snapback]​
same here, ebay and just around $200 for all four shipped (drilled not drilled and slotted) I have had mine for about 2-3 years now.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
brake pad choice will have a MUCH bigger effect then rotor choice. I have gone through threads and threads on LS1 tech about the topic and talked to several manufacturers before choosing to buy the z06 brakes.

Called Baer, Willwood and Stop Tech and they basically said now a days its for looks. It was really meant for back in the day to allow the gasses to escape in the pad. Nowadays our pads do not even emit these types of gases anymore.

Its for looks and I belive its the placebo effect you feel.

Now my GP swithching from stock to Baer brakes with twin piston aluminium calipers is something that is a night and day difference. Stopping when doing 80 or above is incredble. Actually, it has lead me to tailgate now more then ever. :unsure:

When I have time ill link the huge post from LS1 with multiple vendors and manufacturers chiming in on the subject.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
BTW, nascar uses a 12.75 rotor and the key to the design is that they are EXTREMLY thick to absorb heat.....no drills or slots.

All drilling and slotting does is eat brake pads much faster, get you wheels dirty, decrease the amount of heat they can absorb and weaken the overall rotor.

Nowadays they are on there for looks
.......I have them as well but they are there for looks and I can give a crap how much I have to replace them.

Read and weep....

True facts about drilled rotors

Again, I have even contacted Baer, Stop Tech and Willwood and have spoken extremly knowledgable employees and all agreed with the above statements.

Lastly, I question how good some of the cheap ebay drilled and slotted rotors really are considering the price they are selling them.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Im sure if I looked for info that say that drilled/slotted helped I could. Id also call around, but I really dont care. I have them and they work better than stock.

Plus all Fredo wanted was where to buy them. Not two cents. If he wanted it, he would have asked.

CoolGTX

let sleeping dogs lie
Nov 17, 2008
Hotel 4 Dogs
Real Name
J/O
are you sure the holes wernt larger when you put them on and didnt notice it? I think they are all that way/universal. unless it looks like an egg/oval.
BTW, ive got drilled/slotted I bought off Fredo. I went from stock pads and rotors, to stock GM pads and 12 inch drilled/slotted, and the rotors are used from fredo.
they help on the the street and work even better at the track, were I would get real bad fade, I get No fade at all now...:)
didnt notice the heavy rotors slow down my car either..LMAO

mybluegtp

TCG Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Burbank
Originally posted by Ron Vogel+Jan 13 2006, 11:32 AM-->
Yes, but don't you run the larger (heavier) rims and tires in the summer, over mostly urban streets? That's a hell of alot more wear and tear over a stock set-up. 17's aren't too bad, but I have done a higher percentage of suspension work for people running 18s than anything else. It seems our hubs, outer tie rod ends, and ball joints wear much quicker with larger wheels and tires.
[snapback]110193[/snapback]​
[/b]
Yes I do and that is one of the reason why i have to buy new ones, but i think this year, not sure, but might keep the stockers on all year round. I really want to sell the rims for something light weight so i would see what i can get in the hood. ;)

<!--QuoteBegin-CoolGTX
@Jan 14 2006, 10:49 AM
are you sure the holes wernt larger when you put them on and didnt notice it? I think they are all that way/universal. unless it looks like an egg/oval.
BTW, ive got drilled/slotted I bought off Fredo. I went from stock pads and rotors, to stock GM pads and 12 inch drilled/slotted, and the rotors are used from fredo.
they help on the the street and work even better at the track, were I would get real bad fade, I get No fade at all now...:)
didnt notice the heavy rotors slow down my car either..LMAO
[snapback]110327[/snapback]​

J/O the holes are egg/oval shape now, so need new ones. As you can see i want to sell but have to find someone to buy these things off of me. Glad the Rotors are working out for ya. :D

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by Fish@Jan 14 2006, 04:50 AM
Im sure if I looked for info that say that drilled/slotted helped I could. Id also call around, but I really dont care. I have them and they work better than stock.

Plus all Fredo wanted was where to buy them. Not two cents. If he wanted it, he would have asked.
[snapback]110317[/snapback]​

I doubt the guys at three major brake vendors are wrong.

They even told me to save money and buy them plain from them....

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Jan 16 2006, 11:05 PM
[snapback]110546[/snapback]​

Hrm, buy from them......sounds like an INTENSE deal. Doesnt it?? :lolsign:

They are a company. Of course they want you to buy from them. Thats like a Honda dealer telling you to buy a civic instead of a T/A or a Vette since they work better and can last 200K miles.

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Originally posted by Fish+Jan 17 2006, 01:29 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-RoyalGTP
@Jan 16 2006, 11:05 PM
[snapback]110546[/snapback]​

Hrm, buy from them......sounds like an INTENSE deal. Doesnt it?? :lolsign:

They are a company. Of course they want you to buy from them. Thats like a Honda dealer telling you to buy a civic instead of a T/A or a Vette since they work better and can last 200K miles.
[snapback]110565[/snapback]​
[/b]

I was talking about slotted/drilled vs plain..........they sell both........... :rolleyes: <_<

drilled and slotted is looks, plain and simple....... ;)

Royalgtp

TCG Elite Member
Dec 24, 2008
Here comes the bandwagon.... :eek:

I'll believe represenatives from Baer, Willwood and StopTech any day over internet rumors and placebo effects.......

Caliper choice, piston(s) size, rotor size and pad choice come long b4 drilled and slotted as the chief principles behind stopping fast.

The 12'' GMPP upgrades is what stops our cars faster, not rotor choice.

To the next topic to argue about..... :ph34r:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info