3800 cold air box or FWI?

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
i just have a short ram intake basically on the car now, and i was thinking of upgrading to either a FWI like the speedbuilt (or custom) or maybe a cai that has the ice box (slp msp or if someone wants to make me one) and whatnot that goes right behind the headlight...anyone have any ideas on which one is best or would show the most gains? or even if anyone thinks i need to even worry about it...the filter comes about right above the pcm....?

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Jan 2 2006, 05:20 AM
i just have a short ram intake basically on the car now, and i was thinking of upgrading to either a FWI like the speedbuilt (or custom) or maybe a cai that has the ice box (slp msp or if someone wants to make me one) and whatnot that goes right behind the headlight...anyone have any ideas on which one is best or would show the most gains?  or even if anyone thinks i need to even worry about it...the filter comes about right above the pcm....?
[snapback]108934[/snapback]​
well i think it depends, both work, in car boxs can get heta soaked sitting in stop and go trafic,but work great at the track, a FWI is cheaper if you build your self one , usally about a buck if you get all good silicone connectors, and the filter, but FWI also suck up water when you hit a puddle, this happen to raven, and next day it go cold and his maf froze and had to get a new one.

FWI's save space for ic pumps, and alky pumps, id keep my thrasher, (which is highly insulated, i suggest doing to any intake.) if i didnt need the roomfor my alky pump, CAI boxes, have better reslae value, ive noticed

is this a track car or all street car?

teh hot air intake you have right now, get real hot, either a CAI or a FWI, will give you noticeable dif over what you have,

do you watch you IAT"S ever,
i had the same as you have now, and my iat's were liek 40-50 above ambiant, now with my thrasher, its within like 6-15 most of the time...big dif, and i now FWI
on the highway are damn near ambiant too

phat_ridegt

TCG Elite Member
Sep 16, 2007
Ottawa
Originally posted by sinr247+Jan 2 2006, 12:33 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-phat_ridegt
@Jan 2 2006, 05:20 AM
i just have a short ram intake basically on the car now, and i was thinking of upgrading to either a FWI like the speedbuilt (or custom) or maybe a cai that has the ice box (slp msp or if someone wants to make me one) and whatnot that goes right behind the headlight...anyone have any ideas on which one is best or would show the most gains?  or even if anyone thinks i need to even worry about it...the filter comes about right above the pcm....?
[snapback]108934[/snapback]​
well i think it depends, both work, in car boxs can get heta soaked sitting in stop and go trafic,but work great at the track, a FWI is cheaper if you build your self one , usally about a buck if you get all good silicone connectors, and the filter, but FWI also suck up water when you hit a puddle, this happen to raven, and next day it go cold and his maf froze and had to get a new one.

FWI's save space for ic pumps, and alky pumps, id keep my thrasher, (which is highly insulated, i suggest doing to any intake.) if i didnt need the roomfor my alky pump, CAI boxes, have better reslae value, ive noticed

is this a track car or all street car?

teh hot air intake you have right now, get real hot, either a CAI or a FWI, will give you noticeable dif over what you have,

do you watch you IAT"S ever,
i had the same as you have now, and my iat's were liek 40-50 above ambiant, now with my thrasher, its within like 6-15 most of the time...big dif, and i now FWI
on the highway are damn near ambiant too
[snapback]108957[/snapback]​
[/b]

the car is a daily driver that sees track time maybe 5-6 times a season...so its important to be good for track use...more important than street....im thinking with a cai box and headlight out it will be fine for my application....i went to byron yesterday and the IAT's dropped from from 84* and 0 mph and they were only down to 59* by the end of the run, it was about 38* outside....

BigJermGTP

Regular
Mar 28, 2008
Montgomery
Originally posted by preussenGTP@Jan 2 2006, 01:27 PM
do a search on clubGP for 'my new intercooled air intake'  i dont know how to link
:(
and theres a VERY informative thread on a homebuilt CAI.
[snapback]108961[/snapback]​

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=23...Check=174987376

hope it works, Im still trying to find some ABS around here. I know PVC will melt under the hood.

Anyone know where I can buy ABS piping around here, Ive looked in every hardware store possible and have'nt had any luck. Im thinking to just get the cone filter first and bring it with me when I buy the ABS to make sure of a proper fit.

BigJermGTP

Regular
Mar 28, 2008
Montgomery
Originally posted by phat_ridegt@Jan 2 2006, 06:20 PM
im using pvc for like a year and it hasnt melted....

that link didnt work for me
[snapback]108996[/snapback]​

http://www.clubgp.com/newforum/tm.asp?m=23...&key=&language=

try that one...its wierd i have it saved as a favorite and it works when i click it, but not when its on ILGPC site. If thats still not working do the search of an air intercooled intake, you should find it then.

Ive never actually used PVC pipe yet, i just want to make sure. How are you using the PVC right now? Is it just a short 45* bend and then a cone?

I have the rookie intake with just the 9" cone on a 3" piece of ABS that i bought from someone. I want to make one like the one on Club GP.

Im just looking to get my IAT down, im gonna relocate the sensor too, its just not right having the cone sit over the hot ass block. The rubber on my 9" cone started to tear so Ive been ghetto riggin it in place with duct tape and a big clamp. It holds real well but it looks shotty as hell.

Good luck with yours and let me know what you used your PVC for, honestly im not gonna use it but Im just curious as how you used yours.

preussenGTP

Banned
Feb 11, 2008
chicagoland
Originally posted by BigJermGTP+Jan 3 2006, 01:16 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-phat_ridegt
@Jan 2 2006, 06:20 PM
im using pvc for like a year and it hasnt melted....

that link didnt work for me
[snapback]108996[/snapback]​

try that one...its wierd i have it saved as a favorite and it works when i click it, but not when its on ILGPC site. If thats still not working do the search of an air intercooled intake, you should find it then.

[snapback]109040[/snapback]​
[/b]

that one from clubGP seems really sweet!
when the weather gets warmer out, thats gonna be my next project

GTPquickRB

Addict
Sep 11, 2008
haha - thats awesome

i just got a new 9" filter, and i was looking to make my own intake with it.

shit he gave me a good idea.......im gonna work on it - lets keep this thread in the back of our minds - im gonna come back to it when i figure out what the hell im gonna do with this 9" cone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info