3800 bump in da trunk

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Ok... which would be more cost effective/better option:

lower powered 12" sub, or higher powered, smaller 8/10" ?

I've got an older Soundsream Reference 12" sittin here(currently in bandpass box, but could reconfigure to sound better) , but i think its only 200 wats RMS, and want to install somethin into the gtp when i get it. I already know I needa different amp, cuz somethin is up wit the mtx one that i had (had noise/interference like a phantom bass beat somewhere)

SO! herein lies the issue.... I do not need/want like brain rattling bass, but just more than stock... so i could A) use the sub i have (maybe new box??) and snag a new amp, or if better suited, because of size, get a smaller box/sub (10" maybe)

I know my sub is a bit aged, and smaller than most wattage wise nowadays, but it still sounds good with a decent amp....

any suggestions???

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
A new amp would cost more than a new sub. So, I am not sure how much you are able to spend on the stereo. Seeing as how the '06 models will begin to debut, you could pick up a decent '05 sub for around $100 and a decent '05 amp for $200 since your not looking to be heard miles away. The box you put the sub in does make a difference. Check the recommendations on dimensions for a sub box for your model sub. Too much air or too little air will distort the sub. If all-else fails, build your own box if you don't like or can't find one to fit your needs.

As far as brands go, there are too many to list about what is good and what is not good. Everyone will have a different opinion on this subject.

Also put into consideration that you'll need a wiring kit, possibly Dynamat for the rattles (Dynamat Xtreme is awesome) and so forth. I underestimated my stereo costs by around $300. But when it was all done, it was worth EVERY penny!

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by 98GTPDriva@Dec 13 2005, 03:04 PM
A new amp would cost more than a new sub. So, I am not sure how much you are able to spend on the stereo. Seeing as how the '06 models will begin to debut, you could pick up a decent '05 sub for around $100 and a decent '05 amp for $200 since your not looking to be heard miles away. The box you put the sub in does make a difference. Check the recommendations on dimensions for a sub box for your model sub. Too much air or too little air will distort the sub. If all-else fails, build your own box if you don't like or can't find one to fit your needs.

As far as brands go, there are too many to list about what is good and what is not good. Everyone will have a different opinion on this subject.

Also put into consideration that you'll need a wiring kit, possibly Dynamat for the rattles (Dynamat Xtreme is awesome) and so forth. I underestimated my stereo costs by around $300. But when it was all done, it was worth EVERY penny!
[snapback]107154[/snapback]​

I have been trying for some time to find the specs for my sub, but since its loong discontinued, i cant find anything on it!

(soundstream reference series 12", somewhere 98/99 year

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy@Dec 13 2005, 03:35 PM
I have been trying for some time to find the specs for my sub, but since its loong discontinued, i cant find anything on it!

You can try looking at the specs for the newer models of the same sub. The specs normally don't change too much from year to year, so they should be pretty close to your model/year.

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by 98GTPDriva+Dec 13 2005, 04:13 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-gmcjimmyguy
@Dec 13 2005, 03:35 PM

You can try looking at the specs for the newer models of the same sub. The specs normally don't change too much from year to year, so they should be pretty close to your model/year.
[snapback]107175[/snapback]​
[/b]

they dont make the soundstream reference series anymore
plus, like it or not, its still a paper based cone, so its not as strong as most either.

98GTPDriva

TCG Elite Member
Jun 24, 2008
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy@Dec 13 2005, 04:52 PM
then the question comes up again, do i opt for a smaller sub with higher wattage, or larger sub with smaller wattage?
[snapback]107186[/snapback]​

Purchase a 10" sub with atleast 400 watts rms. Then purchase an amp with a total output around 75% of the sub's peak rms power (i.e. find an amp that puts out 300-350 watts of power for a sub that is 400 watts rms peak). Therefore, your sub will hit very nicely, but not enough to where it would blow up.

I have a 10" Audiobahn sub that is 800 watts rms peak. With my configuration (3-ohm load), the sub is seeing 600 watts of power being pushed through it. For just one little 10" sub, it hits very hard. Plus, I still have a decent amount of trunk space left.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info