3800 KR on My 04 GTP

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Here are my mods:

3.4 pulley, FWI 9 inch K&N, ZZP motor mounts,
mandrel bent 2.5 inch exhaust w/ flowmaster 40s, resonator delete, 3" DP w/o CAT, 9mm Taylor Wires, MSD coil packs Autolite 104s, High Speed Fan Switch, Autometer Boost Gauge = 12-13 PSI, Custom Tuned PCM

With the above supporting mods I am seeing about 2.5 degrees of KR at about 90 mph the last time I scanned and that is with 100 oactane. SHould I just get the DHP PCM and be done with my worries or is it something else. My times arent bad. At a shitty track I nailed a 14.4 @ 99 mph with a 2.4 60 foot. It seems like its running healthy. Can I go down to Autolite 103s?

I

imported_Ron Vogel

The mandrel bent DP's can be louder than stock. Could be affecting the knock sensor. You may want to wrap the pipe as an experiment to see how it flys. I had good results with it. May be something as easy as changing the oil too. At your level I wouldn't reccomend going to a AL 103 yet. It's too cold a plug for your mods.

Pull a few plugs to see what they look like, if they are pretty black, you may be building up carbon in your CC's. This can up compression, and induce hot spots leading to KR. If that's the case, you may want to run some intake valve cleaner like Techron through a couple of tanks to keep it clean before your next oil change. You have to take it easy on the car with the cleaner in there, it tends to knock more with it running through.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Nov 11 2005, 05:17 PM
The mandrel bent DP's can be louder than stock. Could be affecting the knock sensor. You may want to wrap the pipe as an experiment to see how it flys. I had good results with it. May be something as easy as changing the oil too. At your level I wouldn't reccomend going to a AL 103 yet. It's too cold a plug for your mods.

Pull a few plugs to see what they look like, if they are pretty black, you may be building up carbon in your CC's. This can up compression, and induce hot spots leading to KR. If that's the case, you may want to run some intake valve cleaner like Techron through a couple of tanks to keep it clean before your next oil change. You have to take it easy on the car with the cleaner in there, it tends to knock more with it running through.
[snapback]103629[/snapback]​

This might be a dumb question. Where can I get the exhaust wrap from? I am going to give it a shot. I think I have around 10k miles give or take on the plugs I have now. I might change them soon.

You can get KR from old oil? Interesting. I always use Mobil 1 Synthetic and change it every 4500 miles. I'm dew for a change in about 1000 miles.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

If you were getting it local, E&R in Addison has it, but you can actually buy it brand new off Ebay.

The thing with the oil; when it breaks down, it's more likely to trikle past the valve gude seals. It basically lowers your octane a lot. I had a warm summer day where I was seeing 8 deg of KR. Changed the oil and next day my scans were saying 0 kr. However this is an extreme case, and I was at about 70K miles at the time.

Sinister Drag Designs

SinisterDragDesigns.com
Aug 3, 2007
Chicago, IL
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Nov 11 2005, 07:09 PM
If you were getting it local, E&R in Addison has it, but you can actually buy it brand new off Ebay.

The thing with the oil; when it breaks down, it's more likely to trikle past the valve gude seals. It basically lowers your octane a lot. I had a warm summer day where I was seeing 8 deg of KR. Changed the oil and next day my scans were saying 0 kr. However this is an extreme case, and I was at about 70K miles at the time.
[snapback]103637[/snapback]​
ron is right on the wrap, i just ordredsummit 2"x50'black header wrap,and header spray to seal against rot with winter coming and i also got DEI clamp heat sheild, its a flexable fabric that resist against high temp and wraps around and u calmp at the top so its sealed, and its a sound deadning so it will be quite. mine is so loud but i have like 4 differnt kinds of metals in my exhaust and i think were the welds are is where my noise is, cast to stainless to galvanized to stainless to aluminum

go ahead and wrap it, it will still help with road noise if not knock

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• MIKES3
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list