3800 what should i get to run 12's

alexgtp

TCG Elite Member
Aug 3, 2007
I would do a turbo kit. Nothing else.

You will waste more on larger heads..bigger cam.. headers.. IC..blowers..port and polishing..

In the long run turbo will make more power.

I wish they had these back when i started to waste money on the "other" useless mods.

Oh well!

Toasty

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2007
Bolingbrook, IL
Originally posted by my97gtp@Nov 10 2005, 05:57 PM
I am looking for a setup that does not include an intercooler that will allow me to run about a 12.8.  Id probably do an intercooler later but i would like to do the motor stuff first.  BTW i will be completely rebuilding a motor so anything motor ways can be included.
[snapback]103543[/snapback]​

what shoud you get to run 12's? hmmm.... a motorcycle?

ha!

just kiddin :)

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Saw the post on ClubGP...should mention he has a class that allows hom use of the machine shop.

Overbore=bad idea...block gets too thin there.
I'd get a set of L36 pstons and rods, just so you can say you touched the block and bump compression

Don't deck the heads, just a light skim to make sure they're straight. Our valvetrain is non-adjustible, if you deck the head or go with a thinner headgasket as suggested, you'll need custom length pushrods

XP+3.0 and 9.5 compression=probably won't fly w/o an IC. You will need to acess a custom tune and roll back the timing.

If they still have the VSX cam, it would probably do you better non-ic'd to be honest. The extra exhaust duration will help you out.

If you can get the set-up you're looking to do to work with no KR, you can be 12.6-8 easy.

Don't fret on the 3.0" pulley. The higher comp ratio is the equivalent to adding more boost. On that set-up, a 3.25 would work fine for 12's, plus you won't be developing as much heat with the SC.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
I have decided to skip the pistons and keep the stockers. I still want the xp but am just gonna do the cam and motor rebuild. I will problaby do some porting of the heads and intake to. Everyone on clubgp talked me into dumping the piston idea and save for an ic or i will use that money for a race trans first. Plus i might be able to run this motor with out ic on my stock trans for a while untill i can afford a zzp. I would just like to run at least high 12's and if i have the money and interest still get to low 12's.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by gmcjimmyguy+Nov 10 2005, 05:49 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-my97gtp
@Nov 10 2005, 05:57 PM
I am looking for a setup that does not include an intercooler that will allow me to run about a 12.8.  Id probably do an intercooler later but i would like to do the motor stuff first.  BTW i will be completely rebuilding a motor so anything motor ways can be included.
[snapback]103543[/snapback]​

what shoud you get to run 12's? hmmm.... a motorcycle?

ha!

just kiddin :)
[snapback]103547[/snapback]​
[/b]

Hey man i already have one. Its an old scratched up 92 cbr 600 but it still flys like the wind. Its a good beginner.

BumpinGTP

TCG Elite Member
Jan 20, 2009
South Suburbs
Actually our blocks can be bored up to .040 safely (not many people do it though). They can even go larger on some. Personally, if you have the machinery to do it, I say mill the heads .010 or .020. Taking any more off will require custom length pushrods, which isnt even a big deal as they are available for our motors already in almost any length. As far as cam choice, the NIC cam would work perfectly for this application.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by BumpinGTP@Nov 13 2005, 07:23 PM
Actually our blocks can be bored up to .040 safely (not many people do it though). They can even go larger on some. Personally, if you have the machinery to do it, I say mill the heads .010 or .020. Taking any more off will require custom length pushrods, which isnt even a big deal as they are available for our motors already in almost any length. As far as cam choice, the NIC cam would work perfectly for this application.
[snapback]103780[/snapback]​

I dont want the nic because want to intercool the car at somepoint.

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by Mike K@Nov 14 2005, 12:17 PM
You can run the NIC with an intercooler.  I'm running a very similar cam with an intercooler and so are others.
[snapback]103827[/snapback]​

Isnt that a less radical cam than the xp though. I love the exaust sound of the xp and like the bigger lift it has. I know the nic has like 507 and the xp is at least 520 for each.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Originally posted by my97gtp+Nov 14 2005, 05:18 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Mike K
@Nov 14 2005, 12:17 PM
You can run the NIC with an intercooler.  I'm running a very similar cam with an intercooler and so are others.
[snapback]103827[/snapback]​

Isnt that a less radical cam than the xp though. I love the exaust sound of the xp and like the bigger lift it has. I know the nic has like 507 and the xp is at least 520 for each.
[snapback]103862[/snapback]​
[/b]
People get so hung up on lift that they ignore everything else. The fact of the matter is that the NIC is probably a better cam for most than they know. It allows an otherwise lightly modified car to run a 3.1 - 3.0 pulley knock free, has an awesome sound, and best of all allows you to use stock valvetrain components.

We just installed a similar cam on a 98' GTP with a set of our ported manifolds, a DHP PCM, 3.0 pulley, and intake and the gentleman is running 0 knock with the setup. On top of that he never has to worry about the added wear from running the firmer valve springs necessary for a large cam.

DaytonaPrixMI

Regular
Dec 3, 2008
You can do 12's on the XP no problem. I run a VS, TOGs, DHP v.10, 3.0 pulley, Wizair, highflo cat, and SLP LM exhaust and can run a 12.9 on street tires and some 100 octane. Get some DRs or slicks and you will be 12's for sure.

Also I believe they are going to stop making the NIC because it is a pain to tune, but I could be wrong. I would go with the XP and open up the exhaust and eliminate your KR and you will hit 12's.

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by alexgtp@Nov 10 2005, 05:04 PM

You will waste more on larger heads..bigger cam.. headers.. IC..blowers..port and polishing..

I wish they had these back when i started to waste money on the "other" useless mods.

Oh well!
[snapback]103544[/snapback]​

Plus you get the shshshshshshshsh effect. :lolsign: :D

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by Fish+Nov 15 2005, 11:08 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-alexgtp
@Nov 10 2005, 05:04 PM

Oh well!
[snapback]103544[/snapback]​

Plus you get the shshshshshshshsh effect. :lolsign: :D
[snapback]103933[/snapback]​
[/b]

I love to have a turbo but im talking about what i can do to the motor now to run 12's.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info