3800 race day at Byron

GTPPWR

TCG Elite Member
Sep 4, 2008
Rockford, IL
I went yesterday the 30th. the camaro wasnt done with the rearend yet, so I took the passat.

I went out to the main road and it would NOT go into 3rd. I knew then it wasnt going to come back from the track in one piece.

I lined up at 10am. dropped it at 3..wheel hop a lil bit but for the most part it GRIPPED. I took off from the light with a 3grand drop. instant hook, went down to 500 and almost stalled. I went to shift into 2nd. wouldnt go in. then I tried 3rd....wouldnt go in. it went into 4th....so I finished the race in 4th and ran a 19.

I staged again. I went to spin them. I dumped it at 3. next thing I hear is ching ching bang. I thought I blew the clutch. when you let off you can hear the rattling. we push it off the line and back into the grass. I pop the hood. the casing on the tranny is cracked in 2. good times.

should have the camaro running on tues or weds. I should have the passat back in 2 days as well. Don almost beat a C5 corvtte in his grandpa car!! there were quite a bit of GTP's there as well. there was this bonneville there with the rearend jacked up. never saw that before in my life.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Originally posted by GTPPWR@Oct 31 2005, 11:57 AM
there was this bonneville there with the rearend jacked up.  never saw that before in my life.

HAHAHA..that was my Bonneville. ;) The rearend was jacked up to get more of the weight on the front wheels. The Bonneville has 50/50 weight distribution and is almost impossible to get a good 60'. I shaved about .5 off my MGM times with DRs/rear-end jacked up vs. my times at MGM (street tires and rear-end not jacked up.)

It's essentially the same concept as using GTO spring blockers on the GTP. The cool thing is that the Bonne has rear air shocks. All I have to do is undo the ride leveling rod, let 'em fill up with air and pull a fuse.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Originally posted by emersonhart13@Oct 31 2005, 01:11 PM
Congrats on the big improvement Tommy, did that move you up on the Bonnie list?

John
[snapback]102735[/snapback]​
It didn't move me up on the Top 25 Bonneville list, but it got me closer (still #13). :) I only got 4 runs in yesterday as Byron was packed. (3 of the runs were the Team Octane brackets. I came in 3rd. :( Worried about being consistent.).

Anyway, my PB was a 14.18 @ 95.35 MPH w/ 2.02 60' (Timeslip). I'm pretty sure I would of gotten closer to 13s if I had couple more runs and was able to make some PT tweaks. The drag radials really helped my 60s.

Here's a vid of my run. My daughter Aly provides the short commentary and videography :p.

www.glovertech.com/BonnevilleClub/Byron1005PB.AVI (Right-click, Save As)

Here's a pic with the rearend jacked up:
103005ByronCarSetup.gif

I

imported_Theautoguy

The track prep was outstanding. I think they sprayed VHT after every third car! I saw consecutive 1.979 60' times with 22 psi in the ole' All-Season tires and 56K mile struts all the way around.

I saw a couple of Team Octane guys with sleepers too. Who was the guy in the mid-nineties W-body Cutlass? I thought I saw him in the 13's or something!

It was a fun time but I had other issues post elswhere...

http://www.ilgpc.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=9971

my97gtp

Addict
Oct 5, 2008
Columbus Indiana
Real Name
Jay
Originally posted by Theautoguy@Oct 31 2005, 09:48 PM
The track prep was outstanding. I think they sprayed VHT after every third car! I saw consecutive 1.979 60' times with 22 psi in the ole' All-Season tires and 56K mile struts all the way around.

I saw a couple of Team Octane guys with sleepers too. Who was the guy in the mid-nineties W-body Cutlass? I thought I saw him in the 13's or something!

It was a fun time but I had other issues post elswhere...

http://www.ilgpc.com/forum2/index.php?showtopic=9971
[snapback]102772[/snapback]​

I ran with the team octane club. I ran a 14.86 in my car the first run. I dont consider it to bad for my first run. Ran a 2.36 60 ft on stock car except dhp and cai. THis was with a 3/4 tank of gas, no track prep, subs, and my 160lb passenger. It was all in all a fun day. I got the joy of racin that cutlass last. I think his best run was agianst me. He ran a 14.56 i think. That car is 4wd with dual motors. it has the stock 3.1 in the front and has a 3.8 in the trunk. He said it took him 2 years to finish that car. I was shocked to see the motor when he poped the trunk. I liked the bonne tommygloves. Looked even cooler with the stance u ran at the track. Hopefully next year i will be able to hit some high 13's.

TommyGloves

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 23, 2007
CHICAGO
Real Name
Tom Glover
Originally posted by emersonhart13@Oct 31 2005, 05:39 PM
Have you tried the front end tie down at all? And yeah your 60' is way better!!! DRs hook up nice and even?

John
[snapback]102752[/snapback]​

Hey John....what's the front end tie down? Never heard of it. As for the DRs...they hooked up really well...no spin at all. I wish I could of gotten some runs to try and get them to spin. :p Oh well...looks like I'll have to wait until next year.

hey tommy that car you were racing looks really familiar............ OH WAIT THAT IS ME MISSING 3RD GEAR TWICE........ i cannot believe i pulled on you before and after the miss and still lost by half a second almost.... crossed before you and even redlighted...... sucks.... i have that vid saved now i can use it as a reference of my shitty run.......... but alas you beat me my friend...... can you got to race the goat...... hehe.... wanna race again next year???????? (hinthint)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info