3800 James Dean

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
I am going to go catless because I have my rear O2 sensor programed to pass emisions w/o one.

How much more hp is gained without the cat convertor? A dynojet owner told me that there is no hp gained from removing the cat. I'm just wondering if it's true or not. I figure he would know since he's probably dynoed a lot of car combo's of with and without the cat.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by MIKES3@Aug 2 2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks fellas. How is the bend on it? Is it pre bent or does he do himself? Is it crimp bend or mandrell?
[snapback]93903[/snapback]​
Crush bent. Which isn't too bad since he uses 3" and that's too big for our cars anyway. If you want a mandrel bent one, good luck finding a place!

I'd be happy to make you a mandrel bent one for the right price, but I have to order all the stuff to make it first.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Mandrel bent with no flex. A flex is not needed, but can be put in for extra. The JD DP uses the factory flex with a 2.125 ID. I found a place on-line that sells the flex pipe pretty reasonably, I'll have to find the link.
upload_42efd5b9b823d.jpg

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by num482+Aug 2 2005, 03:25 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Ron Vogel
@Aug 2 2005, 05:21 PM
*snip*

^price?
[snapback]93910[/snapback]​
[/b]
I don't have a jig to make these, it's made on the car to fit. I think that might be a long drive for you!

Anyway, I'm not in business to make a bunch. I can help out local club guys occasionally.

rjaz gtp

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2008
Naperville
Mike-

I would just call Jim himself and tell him what you have and what you are looking for. He will quote you a price over the phone for the material and labor. Then you can even setup an appointment with him to do the work on your car. I talked to him this morning actually, cause I dropped my car off there to have some work done. He said for a downpipe it would be in the $80-100 range, but just call him and he will hook you up.

MIKES3

TCG Elite Member
May 25, 2007
Algonquin, Illinois
Originally posted by rjaz gtp@Aug 3 2005, 08:54 AM
Mike-

I would just call Jim himself and tell him what you have and what you are looking for. He will quote you a price over the phone for the material and labor. Then you can even setup an appointment with him to do the work on your car. I talked to him this morning actually, cause I dropped my car off there to have some work done. He said for a downpipe it would be in the $80-100 range, but just call him and he will hook you up.
[snapback]94001[/snapback]​

First off, Ron thanks for the replies. Secondly I think that would be a good idea to just call him. Best idea I have heard all day actually.

Secondly I saw a post that stated you do not get any performance out of removing the cat, or you were not sure. IMO you do. Why? The cat and our downpipe is one of the nastiest restrictions on our car, or any car for that matter. You will loose boost but you will make it up at the high RPMs. Loud as hell to especially with my 40 series flowmasters.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

I'll just put this up here so everyone knows the costs on the mandrel bent stuff.
Parts (cost)
45 degree mandrel bends (2.5") need 2: $21
3" to 2.5" reducer $12.50
Flex (optional) $40 est
Labor (includes me picking up parts) $80

So it'd be cheaper to go with Jim, a mandrel bent 2.5" pipe will outflow a crush bent 3", and I can get up to 3.5" mandrel if anyone needs it. Making it from the mandrel is a much more involved fabrication, so it's more expensive.

Also, I can also do 304 stainless...but it's twice the cost for materials.

TonzKnock-G

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Aug 9, 2007
Shitcago
Originally posted by Ron Vogel@Aug 3 2005, 12:23 PM
I'll just put this up here so everyone knows the costs on the mandrel bent stuff.
Parts (cost)
45 degree mandrel bends (2.5") need 2: $21
3" to 2.5" reducer $12.50
Flex (optional) $40 est
Labor (includes me picking up parts) $80

So it'd be cheaper to go with Jim, a mandrel bent 2.5" pipe will outflow a crush bent 3", and I can get up to 3.5" mandrel if anyone needs it. Making it from the mandrel is a much more involved fabrication, so it's more expensive.

Also, I can also do 304 stainless...but it's twice the cost for materials.
[snapback]94041[/snapback]​

Hey Ron is that 21$ per bend or both? Whats a flex and why is it optional? :blush:

I

imported_Ron Vogel

It's $21 per bend, and you need 2 to do it. Basically, the DP is made from the stock flange, a reducer, the 2 bends, and a flex pipe. The pipes are cut to fit together, spot welded on the car, then seam welded off the car. The flex is not needed, but without it you may notice more vibes in the car. I don't run one, but a lot of people like to have them in.

JD's DP's are made differently, he welds a 3" pipe to the stock flex (which has a 2.125" ID), and it's crush bent to fit to the stock cat. I had one for about a year, and wasn't very happy with it, so I went to the mandrel one I have now. I'm not trying to bash JD's work; in fact I think he does good work, but I'm finiky about my exhaust (I've changed it completely 5 times)

If you're planning on PEM's the JD DP will start to hold you up when you get to mid to low 13's. The 2.5" mandrell will carry into the 12's, but how far I won't know until my car gets there.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Originally posted by RoyalGTP@Aug 3 2005, 02:40 PM
that jimmy c looks pretty good!
[snapback]94071[/snapback]​
Yes, he does great work. I saw one of his TOG DP's in person on a car I put a cut out in and was very impressed. His welds looked like they were TIG'd. He displaced a lot of customers when he had to go to IRAQ.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Well here's one I did today for an '04. I had to make the 3" to 2.5" transition by hand, but I think it turned out OK. Not as pretty as Jimmy C's, but what's on the inside that counts...

I think Mike may want a resonator now, w/o the cat and Flowmaster 40's it was pretty loud!
upload_42f55c767a8cf.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info