3800 2.5 or 3 in Exhast?

Jwood416

Apr 27, 2008
I am wanting to do the exhaust on my car, this is the next step, after i do the exhaust i can drop to a 3.4 and i can sleep better at night. Is it better to do a 3 in custom setup or get one of the 2.5 in cat-backs that are out on the market? I am going to be in Lisle next week so if there is a shop in Chicagoland that will do a custom setup cheaply or somewhere that i can get a DP from, if sticking with the stock exhaust size is OK. I just want to do it right the first time, also if it matters i do not plan on modding past the 3.4 at least for a couple of years maybe until i get out of college in 4.

I

imported_Ron Vogel

Stick with the stock catback, get a u-bend delete, and downpipe. It'll be good until high to mid 12's. Keep the resonator if possible, it poses almost no restriction and keeps the car from sounding "ricey". A good place to go would be James Dean Muffler and brake...there is a sticky on his location on the board.

2KREDGHOST

TCG Elite Member
Nov 13, 2008
I personally did my exhaust with James Dean because he knows his stuff especially GP's and its all custom. I have 3" no cat and no resonators all the way to the "Y" then it turns into 2.5" to straight thru Magnaflow muflers with dual tips. I paid under $550. However your a college student so its your choice and remember to each his own.

Leo

GTP4ME

Regular
Apr 28, 2008
I personally wouldn't go with the downpipe from James Dean. He crush bends the pipe and that could cause a significant restriction. As far I know he doesn't have a mandrel bender at his shop.

The 2.5 is more than enough for your setup though. And if I could do it all over I would have stayed with the stock exhaust and just did the ubend and Tips instead of the whole cat back system. Make sure you keep the resonator or get a glass pack unless you like a massive amount of drone.

Good luck with whatever you decide..... :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info