3800 Possible PCM problems

• Thread starter imported_PaceCarBoozer
  • Start date
I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

[attachmentid=2163]OK, I have a couple issues with my car which I'm trying to work out.
A month ago, my car died on 355, it was running fine, then just died. It would start right up, then die, like it was running out of gas. Pump was fine, pressure was fine. My boss and I narrowed it down to the secondary fuel pump relay. We replaced the relay w/ another and still the same problem, so we were thinking that it may have dropped a driver from the PCM that tells it to switch to that relay after the car is started. It is hotwired right now so the pump runs constant with the key in the on position, so it runs, but not great, strange idle, and some other little quirks.
I'm also getting a strange noise, sounds like it could be a tensioner or balancer, but can't narrow the sound down to which one, just know it's coming from the front of the motor. The sound isn't so apparent in park, but when it is put into drive, the idle will rise and drop between around 750rpm and 900. The sound gets bad when the idle drops low, even shaking the car, almost like it is going to die, but if I brake torque it up to 1000rpm, the sound and bad idle is pretty much gone. Money is tight, so I don't want to just go start buying parts on the "oh that could be it" whim. Car hits 100,000 in 20 miles, and I beat on my car like a red headed stepchild.
Anyways, in addition to the above question, my car bogs down when I try to launch it out of sharp turns, don't know if it has anything to do with the TCS or what, cause it doesn't do it if I manually drop the gears out of the turn. This problem didn't start till the fuel pump problem.
Sorry this is so long, but it's my first post, I'm new on here, so HI everyone, and thankyou in advance.

beyerch

Addict
Jan 20, 2009
fuel pump resistor. Its in the fenderwell behind the battery. There is a tsb for hte problem and even a relay relocation kit.

car starts up and runs for ~3 seconds and just dies, rigfht ?

You can also bypass the resistor by shorting that relay to run in high speed mode all the time.

charles

Originally posted by PaceCarBoozer@Jul 18 2005, 05:08 AM
[attachmentid=2163]OK, I have a couple issues with my car which I'm trying to work out. 
A month ago, my car died on 355, it was running fine, then just died.  It would start right up, then die, like it was running out of gas.  Pump was fine, pressure was fine.  My boss and I narrowed it down to the secondary fuel pump relay.  We replaced the relay w/ another and still the same problem, so we were thinking that it may have dropped a driver from the PCM that tells it to switch to that relay after the car is started.  It is hotwired right now so the pump runs constant with the key in the on position, so it runs, but not great, strange idle, and some other little quirks.
I'm also getting a strange noise, sounds like it could be a tensioner or balancer, but can't narrow the sound down to which one, just know it's coming from the front of the motor. The sound isn't so apparent in park, but when it is put into drive, the idle will rise and drop between around 750rpm and 900.  The sound gets bad when the idle drops low, even shaking the car, almost like it is going to die, but if I brake torque it up to 1000rpm, the sound and bad idle is pretty much gone.  Money is tight, so I don't want to just go start buying parts on the "oh that could be it" whim. Car hits 100,000 in 20 miles, and I beat on my car like a red headed stepchild.
Anyways, in addition to the above question, my car bogs down when I try to launch it out of sharp turns, don't know if it has anything to do with the TCS or what, cause it doesn't do it if I manually drop the gears out of the turn.  This problem didn't start till the fuel pump problem.
Sorry this is so long, but it's my first post, I'm new on here, so HI everyone, and thankyou in advance.
[snapback]92088[/snapback]​

I

imported_PaceCarBoozer

yea, exactly what it does!! Is the resistor actually IN the fenderwell, or in the fusebox? Right now I am bypassing that relay in the fusebox, but the car has been running wierd ever since, so I would rather just fix the problem instead of patching it up. Also, whats a TSB? (sorry, I'm crappy with initials). Thanks for your help.
CJ

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• I
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list