3800 Car putters but doesnt start

Yesterday I was driving my car and when i hit the gas it puttered, but when i floored it it was ok... so I got home and turned the car off.... About 20 mins later I tried to start the car, Everything was working the it started to putter right away and died.. i tried again, now it wont start just keeps turning but doesnt turn over to start.. you know makes that " NA NA AN NA" but never starts.. i am not sure what the problem is.. i have the fuel resistor changed and relocated in Dec. I tried opening the airfilter, maybe no air getting in, but that did not work.. any ideas?.....I was this car for my job so no car,,, no money :(... THANKS!!!

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
When you turn the key and place it just before you start the car, you should here a buzzing noise coming from the trunk. This tells you that the fuel pump is working.

To test for pressure, unscrew the back plastic cap connector on the fuel rail. This is located in front of the engine, on the fuel rail, almost directly above the oil cap. Screw on the test gauge. It should read around 43 with the vacuum lines connected.

Oh, the fuel pump service door is located in the trunk. Pull the carpet near the seat and you will see an oval shapped service door.

J.E.T.

J.E.T.

TCG Elite Member
Nov 10, 2008
Originally posted by rockbassray@Jul 10 2005, 08:38 AM
Is the fuel pump somehting easy to replace rather then dropping extra money for labor?
[snapback]91033[/snapback]​

It's a PITA, thats for sure. But definately doable depending on your skill set. I've replaced 2 on the side of the road in my last GP :eek: :( .

Obtain supervision if you are going to do it yourself. Open fuel is dangerous - goes without saying.

So, you're sure its the fuel pump? Is the fuel filter ok? Did you unplug the MAF and tried to start it?

I unpluged the MAF sensor and it did nto start, i dont knwo where the fuel filter is to check... i have two grand prix's,... my good one when i turn the key i hear a hiss from the back whihc must be the fuel pump... on my GTP when i turn the key i just hear a click for a second.. and that is it... before i turn the key fully

guy at the auto store said to check the wiring to the fuel pump.. i have no clue what to check for with that.. i am assuming i need to replace the pump.. which is 250$ at the parts store.. and if i cant install it will be more when i bring it in :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info