3800 So it begins!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Image.jpg

Wewt, 1993 SHO ATX

Tranny sucks, No suprise, but I got it cheap, and its pretty freaking immaculate for the year and it being high mileage

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Yea, I'm well aware the Trans is gonna cost some money... Thats why I'm already looking into getting it checked out before it escalates... I got it for a really good price, and in really good shape. I need to go to a junkyard in the near future for an idler pully for my moms Maxima... and see if I can find any window motors for it... Maybe I can net a Tranny thats still intact? I unno... "Where there's a will there's a way"

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Don't get a junkyard transmission. The 93' was the worst year for transmissions as it was the first year of the automatic SHO. The transmission in your car and the transmission in the 3.8 standard Taurus is not interchangable though parts are.

It is imparative that these transmissions are rebuilt instead of replaced otherwise you'll be out a lot of money not too long after replacing it.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ahh, Sry :(

I'm still learning alot about SHO's and am curious then, do you think I'll need a full rebuild cause of my downshift issue? Or is it possible that just some sensor is bad? Any time you'd have a chance to look at it Mike K? I can bring it wherever next week pretty much, Just like to have someone take a look at it.

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
The transmission in your car is the AXOD-E also known as the worst front wheel drive transmission ever to be installed in a Ford (which isn't saying much since they all suck). :)

The 3.8 SLOs came with a varient of the AXOD-E but are not interchangable.

The rest of the cars received the AX4N which was never found in a SHO until 96'.

The AXOD-E was renamed to the AX4S in 96' for continuity.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Ahh, That sounds about right, Sry about making that stupid assumption :(.

And I know the tranny sucks, I was warned. I made sure to buy the car and have extra money expecting to put work into it. I was just told my parents are gonna be gone on their anniversery... so no plates = no SHO anyways for another week. Any chance someone has some time to burn over the next week and wants to come take a look at it who knows their way around crappy transmissions? I'd pay for food, or just for them coming and taking a look even...

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Unfortunately no one here would be able to help you... The only sensor that really fails on the car that would cause rough downshifts would be the VSS. The VSS is a twofold sensor (mechanical for the gauge panel and an electrical hall sensor for the PCM). The electrical portion is the part that fails. Off hand I beleive it will toss a cose 452 for an absent VSS signal however it's possible that you may have an innacurate signal which wouldn't trip the code.

Look on our page (www.midwestsho.com) on the lower left for info to run the codes.

Symptoms of a failing VSS:

- Variable assist power steering gets firm then soft during sweeping turns (onramps, etc)
- Rough or no downshifts
- Extremely hard downshift when bringing the car to a stop just before coming to a stop (this is the torque converter manually unlocking)
- Cruise control inop

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Edit*

I'm gonna run the codes tomorrow, I tried fussing with the cruse control on the way home, but didn't get it going... I am gonna hope thats the problem, unless its as expensive as a rebuild... in which case I'm just gonna hope I make alot of money :(

The Tq converter Extremely hard downshift sounds right on the money, Cause the tranny isn't slipping... Its just with the downshift, Thank you for the input already :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info