3800 Just bought me some 1.9's and need some advice

BlownGTP99

Regular
Oct 23, 2008
Just bought me some Intense 1.9 Gen 3 Rockers and I have a few questions.

My mods:

DHP PCM
3" dp
3" ubend/res delete
Borla exhaust
Thrasher CAI
180* Thermostat
Gatorback Belts

My Q's :

Is it ok to stick with my stock springs? If not, which ones should I get? Intense has the ls6 springs for $99.

Is it ok to run these with my stock exhaust manifolds? I plan on getting some headers, but probably not for a couple months.

I'm still running stock plugs/wires at 85k miles. Shame on me?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Mike K

TCG Elite Member
Apr 11, 2008
Is it ok to stick with my stock springs?  If not, which ones should I get?  Intense has the ls6 springs for $99.
No sir, you need LS6 at least: http://wbodystore.com/catalog/product_info...001d437da490cbe

Is it ok to run these with my stock exhaust manifolds?  I plan on getting some headers, but probably not for a couple months.
Yes, you'll be fine.

I'm still running stock plugs/wires at 85k miles.  Shame on me?
Shame on you indeed! Get some Autolite 104s and some stock wires on there STAT!

B)

Fish

From the quiet street
TCG Premium
Aug 3, 2007
Hanover Park
Real Name
Fish
Originally posted by JOHNS98GTP@Jun 8 2005, 12:41 AM
i had 1.9 rockers for a while now and didnt change the springs? is this really bad? what could happen? i really dont want to take everything back off and put springs in.
[snapback]87260[/snapback]​

As long as you are not getting valve float, your fine. That happens at the top end of the RPM range around 5800. Some people have it lower, some higher. If you ever feel it, dont get the car into the upper RPMs and float them anymore. Then get the springs done. Its not worth it to risk your motor.

00 GTP Debadged

Regular
Dec 27, 2008
I helped a member change his valve springs, after experiencing valve float with the Gen III rockers. I am not sure that ls6's are correct though. I remember reading a post from Zooomer where he explained how in some instances the ls6's will be stiffer than the 105's. I need to find that post. Anyway, we put 105s on his car and the float went away.

By the way, I am running LS1 springs with a S1X cam shifting at 6500 rpm's with no valve float. Go figure.

Randy

Originally posted by JOHNS98GTP@Jun 8 2005, 04:38 PM
what does valve float sound like?
[snapback]87323[/snapback]​
it sounds totally cool until the engine blows!.. .lol . . usually what happens is the intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time causing a low rumbling sound; before the pistons start hitting the valves..lol ... the spring pressure from the rockers isnt enough to close the valve all the way is what causes it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info